Off-Topic RoyalMail Custom and Handling fees

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 8th Jan, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am so livid at the moment I could have strangled the postie today.:Rant:I ordered a part from the states for £16.00 with shipping 3 quid. The TW*TS at RM want £11.39 for custom charges with handling !!

WTF for an 16 quid item please can someone tell me what are the guidelines for custom charges and how to appeal this ..its ridiculous.

HM Revenue & Customs: Buying from abroad on the Internet - what to look out for

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    looking at this for some time with help of Ralph .. basically there is no custom charge but VAT of £3.39 plus the extortionate RM handling fee of £8.00 makes the total of £11.39

this 8 quid is flat rate regardless of what you order !!

insane and fuming.

3. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    Apparently this can be whether or not a total cost was put on the item.
    Plus depends on the exchange rate.
    The figure before you pay any charges is normally £18.

I have been caught out several times myself by this so now I tend to contact whoever I'm dealing with and ask very nicely if they wouldn't mind keeping the total cost down as this can be your undoing.
    Naturally if it's over then you have no choice.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've been stung by these customs charges a few times now. Always ask for the item to marked as a gift with a value under £15. The worst thing in your case is the fact that you've only gone a single pound over the limit - however you do have some recourse. The item value is £16, not £19 so just give a quick call to RM and explain that. Then they'll ask for proof of purchase which you email. It will delay your part by a day or so but worth it IMO.

EDIT: Just realised you paid VAT - not duty. Not much you can do in that case then, if you bought it from ebay then let RM send back to sender and get a refund. Then reorder with gift marked and value reduced though the seller may not agree.

Last edited: Wednesday 8th Jan, 2014