Body, Paint & Styling Rust killing products - advice needed

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dave, Saturday 16th Aug, 2014.

1. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Has anyone got any recommendations on a rust killing product?

The arches are starting to show signs and I want to try and slow the inevitable horrid rust before another winter takes it's toll.

I was planning on applying some form of killer/eater and then maybe afterwards applying some nice grease over the seams to try and keep the water out.

Has anybody got any ideas?

2. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Dave, try POR-15.
    It's expensive, but once it's on, it's unlikel;y to come off.

The problem with grease is that it will come off (especially at the edges), and the rusting process will start again.

The POR-15, the can it comes in, if you get it on the mating faces of the lid, you'll never be able to open the lid again.

And you can apply it start on to the rust.

They use it for marine applications as well.

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Holy smoke that is expensive a bit more than I was looking to spend as the cars done mega mileage and I just wanted to do something to help it through this winter. Might just get some rust eater or kurust.

4. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    The wheel arch is a hostile environment.
    Always amazes me when people speed through an area where there are fresh loose road chips - guaranteed to chip the paint and start the rusting process.

All depends on how long a solution you want.
    The edges are the weak areas.

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's just the edges that are starting that I'm hoping to slow down to get another year or two out of the car I don't like rust at all and certainly don't want it starting to come up the actual panel.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    hondream likes this.
  7. Dcode Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had a quote today to get my arches sanded and repainted as there is some slight rust appearing. I was quoted £240, they did say however they could not offer me a warranty as more than likely it will come back but they would treat it the best they could. I would have thought if its stripped to the metal sanded and painted it should not come back until its chipped away again? Anyway is there any way of protecting the arches from this happening again? £240 is a lot of cash - more so when I just dropped 300 notes on tyres and wheel alignment :Angry:

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The only way to truly get rid of rust is to cut it out and reweld on fresh metal if you are keeping the car for the long haul. Treatment will work for a short period, but will not guarentee it will never come back. Rust is due to the chemical structural change of the metal. Once that process starts, it doesnt stop. Imagine rust like cancer, it really is the best analogy I know of.

Ichiban likes this.
  9. Dcode Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply bud. Has anyone had any successful warranty claims regarding the wheel arches? Car is not even 9 years old yet.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm sure rust is only covered if it's all the way through? Could be wrong though

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    mate that is why iI had the entire section changed Body, Paint & Styling - Tourer rear arches corrosion | Page 2

12. Dcode Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just been reading that thread pal.

Its only very slight around the edges, certainly not as bad as your photo's just a bit of bubbling starting to form as well. I want to try and nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand though but I don't want to drop hundreds if its only going to solve it temporarily. I'll have a word with Honda see what they say.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get a picture of the rust from the arches out don't let the bit of bubbling fool you .. it behind that you want to look.

Nighthawk likes this.
  14. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have always used simple greese and just kept cleaning and topping up when needed.
    its always stopped rust in its tracks and providied you keep an eye on things should be fine and very cheap. Its not an ideal answer but if its just a case of stopping the rot, its always worked for me.

I am sure there are better products as mentioned but if its a quick fix greese works.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Tony, that's fine for a bit of surface rust but if the rust has started under layers below the surface then your only actually seeing the tip of iceberg. Covering that with grease won't stop the actual rust spreading underneath.

16. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Speedy G.
    Yes good point. If the rot is deeper then I am guessing (as I am no expert) the only way is to cut it out and start again with fresh metal.
    In my limited experience. Once it starts its a never ending battle that will eventually end in a bad way. I have kept many a car in good shape by keeping on top of the rust with greese but have tried other products to. If its on visible panels then in the past I have actually replaced things like front wings etc if possible.

But on more serious rust even professional body shop work doesnt cure the problem long term in many cases. its all very subjective and I there is no easy fix.

But if anybody has any other good cures its always good to hear.

17. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    I bet you're all glad you haven't got a rust bucket Mercedes then........lol

Tonygw - I guess you would run out of grease if you had a Merc....:clap:

18. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Oh yeah for sure. I am amazed how many mercs of our era cars are mega rusty. Really poor quality from a so called "prestigeous" manufacturer. They rust in the imporant places you can't see. No amount of greese can save a merc from the tin worms.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So called German Engineering as legendary

Hindenburg Kaaupttt whateva.

20. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    :clap:
    LOL-----that's funny.