Body, Paint & Styling Rust on the Sunroof

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by AccordCU2, Thursday 18th Oct, 2012.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Discovered today what look like a rust on the sunroof,couldn't investigate properly because of rain but it look like rust to me.Will have a better look over the weekend.
    Now i am sure i read about this somewhere before,was it you Saj that had similar problem?If my memory serves me right.How did you sort this out?Sorry for the poor quality picture.Its was taken with my crappy phone.
    IMAG0486.

2. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    Rust on the 2008 car? :Sobbing:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I think this can be the start of a wider issue on the early 8th Generation and that is not normal and should not be acceptable.

Can all of the 8th Generation owners with sun roof get pictures of the affected area this is surface rust for now but left alone will cause long term damage.

The more information we can get we could potentially get Honda to investigate it via the dealers.

like a boss likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thread made a sticky as we need all the 8th Generation owners to get pictures up , Zoran can you take some high res pictures of the area.

if people could list year model along with the pictures it will make it easier.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    These are pictures off a Model year 2013 62 Reg CU3 2.2 I-DTEC Automatic with 1800 miles on it .

You won't find a lot of damage on such a new car but this is a good base to see what a new car looks like and I can see accumulation of dirt on the lower end toward the rear of the sunroof cavity sill which attributes to this sort of rust development.

The Front Section

photo (9). photo (8). photo (4).

Side Corner

photo (5).

Back section rear of the Sunroof , note the dirt ingraining if owners kept up with regular cleaning of this section you will avoid damage , or even apply wax that will ensure dirt can't easily stick.

Nevertheless it needs to be investigated by Honda

photo (7).

Can I urge all 8th Generation owners to get this information and post it on this thread.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just had some time to investigate further and it look like its bad.
    Made one picture only,didnt want to touch anything more before Honda have a look at it.
    Car:Honda Accord CU2 2008
    IMAG0490.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :Aghast: Truly disturbing to say the least this problem was not there on the 7th Generation so how come we have gone backwards on the 8th Generation?

Zoran could you be more specific where this damage is ?

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Picture no4 that you posted,if you peel that rubber of the glass that where all the rust is.There could rust be all the way round but like i said i don't want to touch anything else before Honda see this.
    This is the culprit,if you peel this rubber off all will be revealed.
    IMAG0491.

Last edited: Friday 19th Oct, 2012
  9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hey Zoran yeh it was me that had this issue a while back.

Took the car to the dealer who didnt say anything except to say that it would be replaced under warranty with no questions asked. So far, since mine has been replaced, its been 100% fine.

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks Saj,just hope they will change mine without problems.

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is you car still under warranty?

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes,until 4th of December but it will be 4 years old in December.
    I read similar situation where Honda said because car is older then 3 years is not covered for some reason but i will put a claim in and see what happens.

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Doesnt matter. If it is under warranty, then it is under warranty.

I can't see ANY grounds NOT to accept this for changing.

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hope you are right Saj.
    Going to pay HH visit next week to start ball rolling,glad to know that yours was changed in case they refuse i have some argument at least that it happened before.

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As said mate - your car is under warranty. This sort of corrosion should not be happening at all. I was quite stunned when I discovered it on mine too.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am down at the HH body shop next week to pick up Helen's car and I will raise this question and get would love to learn the repair process of this sort damage. I am sure members who encounter this sort of damage would be concerned how this will be treated and fixed so it does not reoccur.

I have had the opportunity to visit HH body shop and one word to describe its MASSIVE it has multiple paint boots , drier and air-conditioning unit for the compressed air system and state of the art body jigs.

There are difference section for for all sort of repairs it reassembles , it mimics the factory assemble line as seen at Honda Factory, albeit a bit dusty since its a body shop, but never the less very impressive.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just been reading up on this issue and i came across this ridiculous statement made on another site , " it could be the glue which hold the seal in place reacting with the paint which causes corrosion"

:Rolf: :Happy: now that is funny as hell...