General rust problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by numan, Friday 27th May, 2016.

1. numan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Robert Glasgow
    hello
    just had clutch replaced on my 2004 CR-V and spannerman predicted major problems ahead due to bad rust in pipes and other places you can see unless you were in at clutch. Is this a known CR-V problem or are his visions of doom ahead correct.

Attached Files:

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Other than the rust in the first pic which seems to have not gone through the structure of the box, rust on suspension arms, exhaust hangers etc look pretty normal to me.

How long are you planning to keep the car?

3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nothing out of the ordinary for a 12 year old car there.

4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    If the first pic is the impact bar you should be able to replace this, find a good one on a scrap car.

5. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Hi, know what your going through, imagine what mines like as its seven years older !
    Out of interest as mines approaching the end of its life, can I ask how much the clutch replacement cost ? Did a Honda dealer fit it or a fast fit centre ?
    My local clutch centre quoted £300 as I can buy a clutch kit for £100 the labour rate seemed a bit steep unless of course its a mammoth job ?

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

If you ask me £300 is a very good price Stu. Maybe you can get it done £20-£25 cheaper at best ;D

7. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Good morning , that was with clutch clinic in Bromley, they've got very bad feedback and of course don't know quality of parts used. I've heard nightmare stories of needed new flywheel or we had to skim it etc.
    Its not slipping yet but the bite point is higher than it could be. Apparently on bump you can adjust the clutch pedal for free play etc but not sure.
    Next time in back I'll get some prices, my trusted garage is in Hastings so bit of a track but worth it for quality/trust I guess.

8. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can get a genuine Honda clutch for £152 from Holdcroft Honda. Piece of mind for not much more money.

Nighthawk, exec and legend-ary like this.
  9. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Thanks for that, as said before will have to see the overall cost when next mottys up in December .
    I'm sorry to say I don't think it will be economic to repair as I know other jobs that will need attention.
    I do love the 1st Generation. So would love to find a late 01 with very low miles, it will see me out !

10. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
  11. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Bit too late for mine I'm afraid, there's not much left to spray it on !
    I've had some welding done already and now I noticed a hole on opposite side, I don't mind spending 2/3 hundred a year to get through MOT as of course what could I buy for that.
    I'll have to see in December.

numan likes this.
  12. numan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Robert Glasgow
    another year, two at the outside.
    - - - Updated - - -
    my guy charged me £200 for labour...£350 all in as I let him source good quality kit.....btw he said it was a **** of a job.

13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Then forget about it. Won't go anywhere if you keep it clean

numan likes this.