Off-Topic SAAB 9-3 2.8 V6 Aero

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 10th Sep, 2015.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    We just picked one up yesterday in Manchester, 2006 model with an obd mapping box, the kind which uploads a map and not a real time thing. Been mapped to 320bhp and 550Nm torque and it can shift!

Cheap interior and a lot of hard plastics and not the greatest handling cars but an awesome Holden/SAAB developed engine and I've always had a soft spot for Saabs. The exhaust note is lovely, just the right tone!

It was always my second choice after the Accord, just wish there wasn't so much GM cost cutting in it and more SAAB goodness instead.

2. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I do like Saab's, I would go for the 9-5 over the 9-3 though. But they don't handle and not the greatest drivers car around, much better for comfy motorway bombing.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Went out for a nice long drive in the SAAB today and felt a little disappointed. The engine is great with bags of torque and power but the ride quality just wasn't hitting the spot. The suspension is stiffer than other models but it still felt overly harsh and didn't handle the bumps very well resulting in a lot of crashy cabin noise. Steering felt vague and not very precise. In comparison to the £22K 7th Generation Accord 2.4 Exec, it lacks the refinement that you could expect from a £28K car and just felt, well cheap to be honest. Unfortunately that fantastic 2.8 V6 engine wouldn't be enough to sway me from a 7th Generation Accord. A real shame but it's pretty clear that GM stuck their beaks in too far with the 9-3 and I'm amazed that they thought they could market it as a premium car when the Accord was seen as a gap filler along with VW between your Ford/GM fleets and the proclaimed Premium brands such as BMW, Mercedes and AUDI.

It would, however, make a great track car! At less than £3,000 and I'm sure some aftermarket parts could sharpen up the steering then you'd have a very fast car and a lot of fun! lol

4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    They would probably need a lot of work as a track car, the chassis is not dynamic enough. It seems like the 9-5 would be more what your after.

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I really like the look of the 9-3's and would have bought one instead of the Accord if it hadn't been a GM car after all the costly Vauxhalls I've owned.