Bulletins & Advisories Safety Recall: 2013 Model CR-V Diesel - Incorrect Front Brake Disc.

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Service News, Monday 17th Mar, 2014.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Honda have issued a TSB -Technical Service Bulletin number SO-07-002-00 dated the 14-03-2014. It for this model and model year only

Model CR-V I-DTEC Model Code RE6 Year Model 2013

The Symptoms
    One or both front brake discs may be incorrect (16”brake disc fitted in error). Although the overall brake performance is not affected significantly, constant hard braking may lead to increased brake temperatures and the long term durability of the brake system cannot, therefore, be guaranteed.
    The Cause
    Uncontrolled mixing of parts on production line.
    The Fix
    • Honda to call in all affected vehicles and inspect the front brake discs.
    • Replace both front brake discs and pads on affected vehicles if incorrect size are fitted.
    The Check Method
    1. Inspect both front brake discs visually to confirm if the correct brake discs are fitted.The correct brake discs for 13 model CR-V 2.2 diesel
    have ventilation holes clearly visible in the hub area as shown below: The incorrect front brake discs have no ventilation holes as shown below and need replacement.
    The Correct Disc
    CR-V I-DTEC Front Discs.JPG
    Incorrect Disc
    CR-V I-DTEC Front Incorrect Discs.JPG

2. If either or both front brake discs are incorrect, replace both front brake discs and brake pads with new parts supplied in the kit as per the repair
    method described in this bulletin.

The Repair Method
    The following repair should be repeated on both sides.
    1. Vehicle - Lift
    • Raise and support the vehicle.
    2. Front Wheel - Remove
    • Remove the front wheel.
    CRV wheel off.JPG
    3. Pull out the hood rear seal, then remove the master
    cylinder maintenance lid (A).
    crv cap1.JPG
    4. Remove the reservoir cap (B).
    Note: Do not spill brake fluid on the vehicle; it may damage the paint. If brake fluid does contact the paint, wash it off immediately with water.
    CAUTION
    • Frequent inhalation of brake dust, regardless of material composition, could be hazardous to your health.
    • Avoid breathing dust particles.
    • Never use an air hose or brush to clean brake assemblies. Use an appropriate vacuum cleaner.
    5. If necessary, remove the brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir with a syringe
    6. Remove the flange bolt (A) while holding the caliper pin (B) with a spanner.
    NOTE: Be careful not to damage the pin boot.
    7. Pivot the caliper body (C) up out of the way.
    crv1.JPG
    NOTE:
    • Be careful when pivoting the caliper body up or the spring could pop out of position.
    • Keep grease away from the brake disc and the brake pads.
    • Check the hose and the pin boots for damage and deterioration
    8. Remove the pad return springs (A).
    crv2.JPG
    9. Remove the pad shims (A) and the brake pads (B).
    crv3.JPG

10. Remove the pad retainers (A).
    11. Clean the caliper bracket (B) thoroughly; remove any rust, and check for grooves and cracks.
    12. Verify that the caliper pins (C) move in and out smoothly. Clean and lubricate if needed.
    crv4.JPG
    13. Apply a thin coat of M-77 grease to the retainer mating surface of the caliper bracket (indicated by the arrows).
    14. Install the pad retainers (A).
    crv5.JPG
    15. Wipe off the excess grease from the retainers. Keep the grease away from the brake disc and the brake pads.
    16. Install the commercially available brake caliper piston compressor tool (A) on the caliper body (B).
    crv6.JPG
    17. Press in the piston with the brake caliper piston compressor tool.
    NOTE: Be careful when pressing in the piston; brake fluid might overflow from the master cylinder's reservoir. If brake fluid gets on any painted surface, wash it off immediately with water.
    18. Remove the brake caliper piston compressor tool.
    19. Apply a thin coat of M-77 grease to the pad side of the shims (A), the back of the brake pads (B), and the other areas indicated by the arrows.
    crv7.JPG
    20. Wipe off the excess grease from the pad shims and brake pads friction material. Keep grease away from the brake disc and brake pads. Contaminated brake disc or brake pads reduce stopping ability.
    21. Install the brake pads and pad shims correctly. Install the brake pad with the wear indicator (C) on the upper inside position.
    22. Install the pad return springs (A).
    crv8.JPG
    23. Pivot the caliper body (A) down into position.
    crv9.JPG
    24. Install the flange bolt (B), and tighten it to the specified torque while holding the caliper pin (C).
    • NOTE: Be careful not to damage the pin boot.
    25. Remove the brake hose mounting bolt (A).
    26. Remove the caliper assembly (B).
    • NOTE: To prevent damage to the caliper assembly or brake hose, use a short piece of wire to hang the caliper assembly from the undercarriage.
    • Do not twist the brake hose excessively.
    crv10.JPG
    27. Remove the brake disc (A).
    • NOTE: If the brake disc is stuck to the front hub, screw two 8 X 1.25 mm bolts (B) into the brake disc to release it from the front hub.
    Turn each bolt 90 degrees at a time to prevent the brake disc from binding.
    crv11.JPG
    28. Install the new brake disc (A).
    NOTE: Before installing the brake disc, clean the mating surfaces between the front hub and the inside of the brake disc.
    crv12.JPG
    Front Brake Disc Run out - Inspect
    29. Make sure the brake disc surface is clean.
    30. Install suitable flat washers (A) and the wheel nuts (B).
    31. Tighten the wheel nuts to the specified torque to hold the brake disc securely against the hub.
    32. Set up the dial gauge (C) against the brake disc as shown below.
    33. Measure the run out at 10 mm (0.39 in) from the outer edge of the brake disc. Brake disc run out Specification - Service limit: 0.04 mm
    (0.0016 in)
    34. If the brake disc is beyond the service limit, refinish the brake disc with a commercially available on-car brake lathe.Maximum refinishing limit: 26.0 mm (1.024 in)
    crv12.JPG
    35. If the brake disc is within the service limits proceed as below.
    36. Install the caliper assembly (A).
    37. Install the brake hose mounting bolt (B).
    crv13.JPG

38. Press the brake pedal several times to make sure the brakes work and the brake pedal feels firm.
    NOTE: Engagement may require a greater pedal stroke immediately after the brake pads have been replaced as a set. Several applications of the brake pedal will restore the normal pedal stroke.
    39. Add brake fluid as needed.
    40. Install the reservoir cap (A).
    41. Install the master cylinder maintenance lid (B).
    crv cap1.JPG
    42. Refit the front wheels.
    CRV wheel off.JPG

Torque setting 108Nm/80lb-ft
    Parts Information
    <Part Number> <Part Name>
    06452-T1G-G01 Set Pad & Disc

Please inspect your front discs and if you find the incorrect disc installed please ring your local dealer and book the car in,.

Toggerefc likes this.
  2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Are dealers aware of this?

I may be up at HH in the next 2-3 weeks - if dealers are aware, then I may just book mine in. Nothing worse than calling a dealer about a recall that they may not yet be aware of.

I assume letters to owners will be issued as per usual practice?

Thanks for the heads up as always CJ.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup all dealers across the country are aware of this TSB and part of their normal parts stock intake each dealer should have sufficient numbers of the correct discs and pads waiting on their shelves for customers.

As for mass scale letters to customers is not yet known as it does not affect the entire MY13 series of CR-V only a few, but there will be some sort of communication to directly to customers. However I do suggest do a visual check and locate the holes as per the images.

Toggerefc likes this.
  4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll have a look in the morning - suppose its partially reassuring if not all MY13 CR-Vs are affected.

5. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    For once I am pleased to say that my front discs have holes in!:Happy:

Phil

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good to hear you are in the clear Phil..Come on Swindon get the logistic guys get the right part at the right place... :Whistle:

7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not more ammunition for CJ to use against Swindon :What:lol.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Naah don't do that anymore just facts now.

9. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

At least it's an easy thing to spot and rectify. I bet the people it does effect havnt even realised there was a problem and will be well chuffed at a nice new set of discs and pads. I know I would.

10. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Doubt if they will be changing pads unless they are well worn, and they will probably charge for the new pads in that case. If perchance they do [change pads free], I hope my discs need changing, because it has done over 20,000 miles now and existing pads won't last forever. :Whistle:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That's immaterial fella if the wrong ones are fitted you are entilted to the correct discs as per the orginial design of the car.

12. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Th
    The discs might be the wrong size but it doesn't follow that the pads are wrong. There is, after all, no mention of changing the callipers.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is nothing in that TSB to suggest the disc were the wrong size or the calliper need upgrading. The disc did not have the additional vents for cooling and as a best practice you replace the discs and pads together as a set.

So can't see why Honda have to change callipers as they are fine.

Toggerefc likes this.
  14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thankfully mine are the correct vented type it seems.

15. CRAIG1969 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

craig coventry
    Mine also are the vented type :Smile:

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    good stuff the affected customers are in the process of getting letters from Honda. VOSA has also been notified for the same.