Bulletins & Advisories Safety Recall: Combination Light Switch Coupler Terminal Worn

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2007-2015)' started by Ichiban, Friday 16th Dec, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is a common and pretty widespread issue so Honda had issued a Safety Recall. This was deemed as potential defect with the lighting combination switch on certain 2002 to 2008 Jazz.

This Safety recall was issued by Honda on 21-06-11, Bulletin No SL-10-002-02. To kick start this recall Honda did start ailing owners way back in February 2011 to get customers booked in whilst Honda got the rectification kits to all dealers.

What are the Symptom?

Headlight low beam may not come on or fail without warning.

What was the cause of this issue?

A terminal in the combination switch 16P harness connector can overheat and may cause the low beam headlights to fail. The main beam will continue to work as normal.

The Fix

The corrective action is to inspect the combination light switch wire harness 16P connector and, depending on inspection result, install a combination light switch wire kit (Kit 1) or a combination light switch repair kit (Kit 2 ). According to Honda the vast majority of cases would require the Kit 1 to resolve this issue , its less than one percent the KIt 2 repair kit will be used.

The Repair Kits

KIT 1 - Combination Switch Wire-Kit Honda Part Number 06322-SAA-305

Kit Contents are
    A. 32117-SAA-305 : SUB CORD, (1.25SQ) SERVICE
    B. 04111-S50-305 : TERMINAL, JOINT 1.25
    C. 32113-TA0-003 : CABLE BAND

KIT 2 -Combination Switch Repair Kit- Honda Part Number

C. 32113-TA0-003 : CABLE BAND
    D. 98630-00016-01 : CP 16P 090F
    E. 35255-XXX-XXX: SW ASSY, LIGHTING & TURN

KIT Overview

Jazz kit pic.

Tool required for this work

Terminal Remover (See F Picture below)
    Honda Part Number 070AZ-S5A0110

070AZ-S5A0110 Remover, Contact.

Jazz additional required tools.

(G) : Electrical tape
    (H) : Phillips-head screwdriver
    (I) : Mini tip screwdriver (Flat-tip screwdriver : used to open the locks on the 16P headlight wire harness coupler.)
    (J) : Wire crimping tool
    (K) : Extension
    (L) : 12mm socket
    (M) : Ratchet

The dashboard under covers are removed then the steering column covers to start the process, Owners should visits their local dealer and get their Jazz booked in to carry out this work at the earliest. The total time to fix this car and give it a full health check in around 3 hours.

2. hondavtecr Trader

Chris Manchester
    Re: Safety Recall Jazz Combination Light Switch Coupler Terminal Worn

I can remember doing these whilst at Honda. It seemed like everyday there was more and more Jazz's being booked in. Although we never got 3 hours to do them, our garage would only allocate 0.8 hours for the job.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

I called the driver master switch recall the shower curtain fix..:Wink:

4. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester

is it for every Jazz 2004-2008? or just specified VIN's? how can check if it's been done previously on my car? I assume that it's free, any limits ie. age or mileage?