Bulletins & Advisories Safety Recall FR-V - Brake Master Power Vacuum Leakage

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Service News, Thursday 27th Jun, 2013.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Breaking news all FR-V owners will be contacted over the coming weeks about this safety recall. Information is sketchy at the moment Honda will make an official announcement on the 4th of July.

All we know at the moment is the following cars are affected

Model Model CodeYear Model
    FR-V BE1, BE3,BE52006 & 2007
    All we know at the moment is the Servo or the brake booster body can move and reduced the sealability of the internal diaphragm. if this was to happen then level of vacuum cannot be maintained and brake assist power is reduced, causing a longer stopping distance than expected.

Honda have said the predicted failure rate for the brake master power unit is very low but they are responding to reassure customers.

As soon as we get more detailed information we will let you know, alternative please contact your local honda dealer to get the car booked in.

I am also told this also affects the AP1 S2000 of the same year of production.

2. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom scigo United Kingdom
    Any news on this? I found out mine is BE1.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Is your car made between 2006 and 2007 ? If it is then contact your nearest dealer ASAP to book the car in.

4. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

it is 57 plate, end first registration November 2007

- - - Updated - - -

I take it, it should be a warranty job.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No Honda will inspect the movement on the brake booster and any movements out of the spec will result in the revised part being changed. This work will be totally funded by Honda with no impact to your warranty. I will upload the whole recall details soon .

Watching the ashes at the mo

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is the official release from Honda.

Introduction

Honda Motor Co, Ltd. has determined it necessary to conduct a safety recall to rectify a potential concern with
    the brake master power unit. The volume of potentially affected FR-V's is very small at 1479 units. As the predicted failure rate for the brake master power unit is very low and new parts stock is limited parts should only be ordered after it has been confirmed a replacement unit is required.

Parts ordering via NEWS has therefore been switched on for this campaign.

Honda (UK) is currently obtaining registered owner details to enable us to write to all owners of affected vehicles. Prior to customer letters being mailed, if an affected vehicle is brought to your dealership for any reason after 4 July please carry out this recall and submit a warranty claim as detailed in this bulletin.

The Symptoms

Due to a manufacturing error, when the brake pedal is pressed the booster body can be displaced and the sealability of the diaphragm can be reduced. If this occurs, the level of vacuum cannot be maintained and brake assist power is reduced, causing a longer stopping distance than expected.

The Cause
    In the brake master power production process, master power clamp failure resulted from seating sensor failure and that created a gap between booster body and housing.

The Inspection Method
    This inspection involves measurement of offset amount of booster body both with and without vacuum in the
    master power, and if the measurement result is beyond the SPEC, the master power will be replaced. This offset amount measurement will be performed with a dial gauge utilizing vacuum, and it is required to measure the master power at the correct location.

-Set the dial gauge to the magnet stand and place them at the measurement location.
    -The measurement location differs depending on the size or type of the magnetic stand available.
    -Choose one from the 3 measurement locations below according to the dial gauge and the magnet stand to be used.

Drawings below are looking at the master power and master cylinder from the top and from the side.

Location for directly measuring master power offset amount

Place the dial gauge at the master cylinder installation area parallel to the master cylinder.
    -Place vehicle protectors such as a fender cover while operating.
    -If the engine room is hot, be careful not to burn yourself while operating.
    -Handle the dial gauge carefully as it is precision measuring equipment.
    -When placing the magnet stand, make sure that the magnetic part will not come into contact with the master power.
    -When placing the dial gauge and the magnet stand, make sure that they will not come into contact with other parts of the vehicle.
    -Make sure to place the magnet stand on the vehicle body. Do not place it on the steering component parts or the brake component parts.

View attachment 10654

Reference

View attachment 10653

Location for measuring master power offset amount (Use this location if direct measurement above is difficult.
    Place the dial gauge on the flat surface at the end of the master cylinder parallel to the master cylinder vertically.
    Place the magnet stand at the suspension installation area.
    NOTE:
    When placing the dial gauge, avoid the pit (A) at the center.

*Reference

View attachment 10652 View attachment 10651 Image 5 FRV AOCUK recall.

Location for measuring reservoir tank offset amount (Use this location if measurement at the 2 locations above is difficult.

Place the dial gauge on the reservoir tank parallel to the master cylinder.
    NOTE:
    Some models have connecting tubes installed between their reservoir tanks and master cylinders. As for this type of models, because their reservoir tanks are fixed to their vehicle bodies and the offset amount will get absorbed by the connecting tube, the offset amount can not be measured through the reservoir tank.

Image 6 FRV AOCUK recall.
    *Reference

Image 7 FRV AOCUK recall.

Measurement procedure
    1.Choose one measurement location according to the magnet stand to be used, and temporarily place the dial gauge and the magnet stand.
    2.Start the engine, warm it up (till the radiator fan operates more than twice), turn the ignition switch OFF,and then stop the engine.
    3.Use up vacuum in the master power by pressing the brake pedal ten times.
    4.Insert the dial gauge 3mm (0.118 in) in and set this location as the zero point. And then set the dial gauge.
    NOTE:
    Make sure that the magnet stand and dial gauge are securely fixed so that this zero point will not move due to engine vibrations.
    5.Re-start the engine. ( DO NOT press the brake pedal)
    6.Measure the displacement (MAX value) of the dial gauge.-If the displacement is more than 0.75mm, replace the master power assy with new part as per shop manual.
    -If the displacement is less than 0.75mm then the master power is serviceable and the vehicle should be
    returned to the customer.

Parts Information
    Note: The predicted failure rate for the brake master power is very low and new parts stock is limited.
    The Honda dealer will only order a brake master power only after confirming that a replacement is needed.

Brake Master Power Set.
    - Master Power Assy
    - Master Power Gasket
    - Rod Seal
    - Seal Grease
    BE1,3
    - RHD type : 01469-SJD-J10
    - LHD type : 01469-SJD-G10
    BE5
    - RHD type : 01469-SJH-E10
    - LHD type : 01469-SJH-G10

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have posted the details for the TSB just ring your local Honda dealer and get the car booked in for inspection.

8. scigo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you, I will do. I have entered my VIN on Honda website and it didn't show anything required. But I will speak with them anyway.
    ***UPDATE***
    I spoke to Honda Dealer to get the car booked for inspection. They checked my VIN and said that there is no recall for my FR-V and would not book it in for inspection.
    Nevermind

Last edited: Monday 15th Jul, 2013
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well then your car must be VIN produced prior to the model years indicated in the TSB,it happens all the time. It s a good think your car doesn't have a recall after all, its not a bad thing.

10. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Hi CJ, Just checked my VIN on the Honda website and guess what- "your vehicle is fine and requires no work". Definately a BE5 and reg June 2006.:Unknown:

11. colinbos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've called two Honda dealers where I live to book mine in for checking. One said they didn't have the tool to check it (I wonder what that could have been) and the other said bring it now. They did it while I waited (Lightcliffe Southport).

The thing I find a bit wrong, but not wrong at the same time, is the complimentary inspection of the WHOLE car whilst they have it, which then flags up other non related issues with your car, if it has any. My car didn't need any work doing on the recall but I still came away £250 lighter after two tyres and a clutch fluid change !

Good service but I can't help thinking that no news is good news for your pocket. :Blink:

Mine is the 2006 2.2 CDTI Sport.

Last edited: Wednesday 14th Aug, 2013
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thread bump chaps don't look at Honda recall website ring your dealers.