Bulletins & Advisories Safety Recall Water Pump Pulley Mounting Bolt Broken

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Ichiban, Thursday 25th Aug, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Chassis Code: BE1
    Production Year: 2008 & 2009
    Recall Dated: 22-08-11
    Bulletin Number: SL-02-005-00UK

Honda UK did write to the registered owners of all affected FR-V's, advising them of this potential concern and for them to contact their preferred Honda dealer to carry out the recall work. This is for FR-V owners for their knowledge and if they have bought the car on the cross over between the last owner receiving this notification from Honda and you yourself.

The Symptoms
    Customers may hear an abnormal noise from the engine compartment. Under some circumstances a number of warning lights will appear on the dashboard and power assistance to the steering may be lost.

The Cause
    The water pump pulley mating surface was inappropriately shaped (not flat), this results in torque relaxation of the securing bolts of the water pump pulley. If one bolt does loosen, breakage of the bolt and the other retaining bolts is possible and the pulley can become detached.

The Fix
    Water pump pulley securing bolts are treated with a locking compound and their tightening torque has been increased.

Affected VIN Range
    If your VIN number is between these ranges first check Recalls And Updates | Honda Owners | Cars | Honda (UK) or call into your local Honda dealer and ask them to look it up for peace of mind.

JHMBE1***8S205452 - JHMBE1***8S206421
    JHMBE1***9S200001 - JHMBE1***9S202524

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    bump for FR-V owners ensure your BE1 is not still outstanding with this recall.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys there are 15 cars outstanding in the UK with this recall please get it done.

4. mike787 Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Do you know if this recall work would be carried out on grey imported vehicles by UK main dealers at a fee or foc? Mine was originally destined for the EU market in Cyprus but came into the UK by another dealer. I have bought it second hand from a non Honda dealership.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It depends Mike have a look at the affect VIN ranges as above,cross reference your VIN is within this range.

if it is then regardless where its brought from,the extended warranty will cover it as long you are within the time\mileage remit of the recall.

6. mike787 Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, it looks as though mine is in the first line of those numbers you have listed. I’ll give the dealer a call for piece of mind. What I find frustrating is that I spoke with them only a couple of weeks ago and gave them the chassis number etc of my vehicle and they haven’t made contact. Your post is a God send, thank you.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mike I would go into the dealership and speak to the service manager and ask him\her to look up the VIN on MaRIS to see if your car has this still outstanding.

:Hey:

Your car may be one of the 15 which has not turned up.

8. mike787 Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I sent an e mail to the main dealership this morning, they have replied by e-mail to say my vehicle is not affected, despite the chassis number being in the list. I have just rung them and the guy on the service desk assures me he has checked the system and it is ok. He says, that because my vehicle was destined for Cyprus, then it may have had a different component fitted despite being in the chassis number range. I guess there is not a lot more I can do except to print off the e mail and keep it with the records in case it goes bang, then take them to the small claims court! I suppose the perk of having a grey import is that I will not get updates of recalls for the vehicles sent to Cyprus! (Unless there is a way around that anyone knows of!)

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mike not saying this dealership have advise you incorrectly is they are adamant then it must be , however to make sure no mistakes have been made and to get a second opinion call up Holdcroft Honda and speak to them to be completely satisfied.

10. mike787 Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, just checked with Holdcroft and they also stated it is not outstanding any recalls. I did pose a couple of questions, i.e. is the recall worldwide and would a Cyprus recall show on a UK recall and visa versa, I was told it should because it comes from Honda and not Honda UK. I asked if, because the recall is dated 2011, with my car having been registered in 2009, then does the system show it as being done. The guy advised me it simply drops off, it does not show when it may have been done if it was needed to be done. I don’t have any paperwork to say it has been done. So I have done all I can. Thanks for your advice.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well that's then you are safe.:Wink: