Suspension, Steering and Brakes Saloon Rear caliper brake piston tip :-)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by dean, Sunday 23rd Jun, 2013.

1. dean Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lots of people may know this already but i didnt so i thought id pass it on. when renewing pads for your discs i found that the caliper pistons will only wind in if the hand break is in the on position so ether apply the hand break as normal or move the lever arm on the caliper manually ,hope this helps,oh and by the way i found that the tool for removing the disc,s from disc cutters fit the pistons perfectly just the job to wind them in.

2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can't remember leaving the handbrake on when I did mine. Got me thinking now.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Done a few cars now and always the handbrake has been down and using a wind back tool it works effortlessly.

Infact make it a point to release the handbrake is in the down position before I start... so it not engaged.:Search:

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I drop handbrake too and use a brake rewind tool.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    having the handbrake on will extend the piston rather than allow you to wind inwards?. spray the piston boot liberaly with penatrant spray (WD40) taking care not to spray on any disc or pad surface. the lube stops the rubber piston boot from grabbing as you turn the piston. let is do its stuff for a few mins and then use a wind back tool. you can get a square multi tool quite cheep nowadays that has a 3/8th centre on each side for a 3/8 extention and ratchet. wind inwards untill flush with the caliper and alighn the two slots verticaly. job done

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's interesting Beefy. Personally I refrain from using WD40 on any rubber parts as it is a water displacement (hence the WD) and can dry out rubber.

Although I would imagine that the piston boot and other such boots are synthetic rubber and as such can withstand being attacked by such solvents.

Still wouldn't something like GT85 be better choice ?

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    gt85 is allso a water displacent far as i know of ? its a very common thing to do and I've never had any problem after using similar products. its certainly better than spinning the piston dry.

8. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Maybe silicone spray lube would be better? I ordered some permatex silicone from Amazon.com which I am intending to use on my annual brake clean up, specifically the slide pins but might try a bit around the piston boot lip.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ah yeah, your right it is. Hmmm will look at lubing the boot next time (somehow).