ICE & HFT Sat Nav Discs

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Eltax91, Wednesday 13th Apr, 2016.

1. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys

I've got a late-model last of the Gen7 Tourer on an 08 plate. It's EX spec so has the factory Nav installed. The disc in the nav is v3.06, so 2006/7.

To be honest i'm getting tired of how many roads the nav now doesn't know about! I started googling for the latest versions, and I see plenty of suspect websites that will flog you a v3.0 (2015) disc for £25. Now, honda of course want a fortune for a genuine one.

So, copy discs. I assume they work otherwise they wouldn't be for sale. So what's the catch? Are they gonna screw up my dvd drive at super-speed or something? I'm thinking at £200 from honda, I might take a punt on the £25 disc and if it kills it, get another dvd drive from a breaker and go back to my old factory disc, or even just get a TomTom at that point.

I've had the nav unit out before to install an xcarlink. What the posibility of buying something that plugs into the DVD slot instead of the drive and changes it to a HDD type system which makes updating easier? Does such a thing exist?

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Copy discs will kill you DVD in the end and are not recommended

3. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom david mee mansfield notts
    every corner you turn with this one is a dead end. quite why honda want £200 for a disk is beyond me when a new free upgradable sat nav can be bought for £80.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hey buddy how you doing ? Long time no chat.

Know what you mean !

As @Duc de Pommfrit says they work for while and then knacker in the laser on the DVD drive.

No nothing like that but there are some crappy replacements for the whole unit but a) they don't look any good b) you may lose A/C controls c) the sat nav software is pretty naff anyway.

So I'm afraid your kinda stuck with what you have. Perhaps keep an eye out on ebay for genuine second hand discs.

5. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom david mee mansfield notts
    good evening to you @SpeedyGee. i have been working away for a while. Your going to love this. Accords been in for a gas service for nearly 2 weeks now and is still not right and they still have it. The monkeys who fitted system had taped the test port in to the loom at the side of the head. so far it has had a service and test and software update but it is still putting the light on. To be fair to the garage I told them I did not need the car as i have a company car so they have dropped on it in between other jobs but they seem to see it as a challenge and want to get it right miss it thought. Will update when I know more.

6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I reckon the OP is onto a possibility of something else instead of the DVD drive, just need to know the interface spec.

7. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    A solid state drive would make a lot more sense than a DVD at this stage, tech has moved on and prices for SSD's have fallen a lot.
    I am not techy enough to make it work but would be very interested in one if someone could make it happen.
    My 08 Accord has a 3.06 disc I think so need updating, I did see that spanish seller of discs for 20 euro but I don't think they are Pukka.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There's quite a few connectors on the DVD drive so trying to work out all the connections is no small task.

Also on the facelift I believe there is composite input into the Sat Nav screen anyway so you could just use that for something (I think @Duc de Pommfrit made a cable for this ??). On the preface lift it's not that straight forward but still doable.
    - - - Updated - - -
    This is off topic but what code is being thrown up ?

9. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
  10. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've looked heavily at xcarlink (i have their Aux interface fitted for audio), but ultimately it's not a good solution as it's got to switch between that and any of the other displays to make it work. I love the idea of someone smarter than me working out the cables and replacing the DVD unit with a mount and an SSD drive. You only "need" 8gb in theory so would be quite cheap, plus then you can just buy the dodgy dvd, rip the files and get them onto the drive. The car would never know. There's an opportunity to make money there!!

I'm sorely tempted to risk the DVD drive burnout as the old maps are getting close to unusuable for me. Whats the liklihood of it killing the drive and how quickly? The other questions is "why", what's different that causes it? If i got the disk, ripped the files and burnt it at 1x speed to the best quality dual layer i can find, would that improve matters?

@SpeedyGee - I'm good, you've not heard from me for a while cos my system is sweet as you like. Running like a dream, also, my mileage for work has dropped to about 20k instead of 30k plus, so stuff is lasting longer. :Grin:

11. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    how up to date does it need to be? the latest disc will cost you top dollar but one say 1-3 years old may be new enough to get you by. plenty of v3.xx discs on ebay

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

pre-facelift 7th Generation uses version 2.xxx maps
    facelift 7th Generation uses version 3.xxx maps

AFAIK the two are incompatible

Apparently the best to use is Verbatim AZO DVD+R Dual Layer disc, which are gold coloured like the OEM ones

You have to get the ISO and burn it to one of those discs at 1x speed to get close to the OEM quality

edit: these ones ....
    DVD+R DL 8.5GB 8X with Branded Surface - 15pk Spindle: DVD R DL - DVD | Verbatim
    DVD+R DL 8.5GB 8X Life Series with Branded Surface – 10pk Slim Case: DVD R DL - DVD | Verbatim

Last edited: Thursday 14th Apr, 2016
  13. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. The question is, how close will close be? If it's still going to burn the drive out within a few weeks then not worth the hassle. If we are talking insignificant extra wear and as such taking 5% off it's expected life, then that's a risk i'm happy to take.

Side question: is it as simple as finding a DVD unit from a breakers if it goes pop and swapping the units out?

14. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

apparently when done as in #12 t's better than the latter, very close to OEM

15. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Units are interchangeable but not between early v2.xx and v3.xx. from my experience v3.xx systems are less sensitive to copied discs than the v2.xx systems. That's my experience, not very scientific but I tried copied discs in my Accord (which was shortlived and went genuine very soon after replacing the optical drive) and my last Civic which ran verbatim copies (new one each year) for the whole 4 years I had the car.

jimjams likes this.
  16. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'm not condoning the use of copied dvds but if you look at from a financial perspective.
    A copied disc £25
    A laser replacement service.. £140 (that's what I paid through ebay, but mine failed with a genuine disc installed!!)
    So best scenario £25 worst case £165
    That's still cheaper than a genuine Honda disc.
    But obviously there is the hassle involved.
    I am running a "back up" disc in mine at the moment and have been for 1.5 years now. Failure may or may not be imminent.. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    A genuine disc would be the best option by far but I really think Honda are pricing there sat nav discs in dream land.

jimjams likes this.
  17. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I tried the copied disc in my Accord there was an obvious increased stress on the drive; may not be the case for everyone but was certainly so for me.

The disc spun hard for longer and the boot times would vary, in some cases taking 20 minutes before. Genuine disc on the same drive boots instantly. Was a no brainer for me to go with a genuine disc.

jimjams likes this.
  18. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I never noticed that. My genuine disc would take ages sometimes. Boot time isn't just reading the disc though. Its also how long the system takes to gets a satellite lock also. that can sometimes cause the long boot times.

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

jimjams likes this.