ICE & HFT Sat Nav displaying DVD disc reading an error

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Nadeem, Tuesday 13th Aug, 2013.

1. Hi I have just started to get this error "DVD disc reading an error" when the Sat Nav boots up on my 2005 Honda FR-V. I have checked the DVD Disc itself and it is scratch free and has no scratches and scuffs, smooth as a baby's butt it is. I have even taken the DVD, played it in my laptop and it reads the disc fine etc. Which leads me to one conclusion, that, the unit itself is damaged?

Is my diagnosis correct? Has anyone suffered a similar problem? Anyone know how I can get past this just to access the Settings/Home panels?

I am not that worried about the Sat Nav, as the maps are out of date (it doesn't even recognise the M6 Toll) and the update Discs are ridiculously overpriced. £170 for the latest updates ........ which is dated for 2011. Please. But the main thing that s bugging me is that I cannot access the Menu and Settings now. That's the real bummer.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Unfortunately, you need a working DVD drive to get to the menu system.

Ichiban likes this.
  4. Had a feeling, i will have to replace the Headunit. As great as a car as it is ...... one thing that irks me, is that to access the main panel and settings etc, the DVD Drive has to work. Why not keep the two separate. Idiotic design.

Looking at Lings Honda parts, to replace the Alpine DVD Drive would cost wait for it ............ drum roll please ......... and a bit more ........... sit in your seat ......... prepare to fall off ........... :

PFKL570314NAVIGATION UNIT (DVD) (ALPINE£4,742.78
    How about that hey. I paid £4400 for my car in the first place. But you would have to be stupid to do that. Ah well, off to Breakers site to see if i can grab one (if they even got one). Next step would be to speak to Honda and see if they help me out in anyway.

Also going to try to take the drive out and clean it and see if i can find a similar drive on the net, but cheaper.

Shall update the forum on the above options and which method i opted for.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    your unit will be fine no point touching that ..or even planing to change it even if you had the dosh.

its the DVD reader which is faulty.

6. Got any suggestions? Sites i can find a new reader from? Its probably the laser that is knackered.

Was just sorting myself out with the Master Window control panel, where the driver sides button broke, and now this. Such is life. If anyone ever needs instructions on how to take the Master Window Control panel out let me know.

Am going to try to clean it and see if that makes any difference.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yeah have a ago at cleaning it first. If that fails get in contact with a company called DTRONIX, the repair broken Sat Nav units. You just need to send them you DVD unit.

As for the instructions for taking the Master Window Control out, why don't you do a DIY Guide on it, we have awards for best DIY Guide of the month :Smile: