ICE & HFT Sat Nav - DVD Disc reading error

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by markbingley, Tuesday 21st Aug, 2012.

1. markbingley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My Accord Tourer 2009 2.2 EX is just outside of warranty (typical!) and the Sat Nav starts to fail.
    It works fine for about the first 30mins of each trip, and then spits out to an error message:
    "DVD Disc reading error, please consult your dealer", and the system no longer works.
    Sometimes, after that, the message changes to include the text "Unformatted Disc" (although this doesn't happen every time)

So, Google tells me that its probably the DVD reader being dusty/dirty, so I bought a CD/DVD lens cleaning disc, and ran that through the drive a few times, but the problem persists.

I took out the Map DVD, and put it into my Mac, and created an image of the disc. I then burnt it onto a dual layer +R disc, and popped that in the car. But the car did not even recognise the disc. At all. (Should I have done a file copy instead, rather than an image?)
    It's strange that the new burnt disc isn't seen, as it's exactly the same in terms of file content and structure. The disc even has the same name. So I was quite surprised when it didn't work. (Have any of you successfully created your own copy of your original disc? If so, how?)

So I put the original dvd back in, and the problem carries on as before.

So a bit more Googling (is that a word?) suggests that Alpine (who make the system) can be asked to refurbish the DVD reader at a cost of about £150-£200.
    I also find that a new replacement DVD map disc is around about £100 or so.

So I am wondering, has anybody else had the issues I detail above, and if so, what was your solution?
    Was it the disc itself? or the player?

When I spoke to Honda dealer, they suggested a new Map dvd, and if that doesn't work, a replacement system for about £1000 :Aghast:

Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated...
  2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Reading the above I would say it has to be the drive giving up when it warms up. If it was the disc it wouldn't read from the beginning of the journey.
    As I said before the copied disc is possibly just not sufficient quality for the drive. Possibly you could get a DVD drive from a breakers, at least enquire for a price.
  3. markbingley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its interesting that you used the phrase .."when it warms up", as the recent weather may be a factor I suppose.

If it is the DVD reader, then I guess the next question would be if anybody has contact info for a reputable service centre for Alpine gear...
  4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When I say warms up, I mean in the context that the electronics warms up.

For servicing here's the contact page for Alpine.
  5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had this same fault a few weeks ago:

Thankfully was sorted under warranty. Its the actual reader thats fried. No amount of disc cleaning products or replacement DVD discs will cure it. The reader/black box needs replacing. If Honda won't budge on replacing or contributing, then your best bet is to buy on from a breakers yard (if there are any?) or source a third party compatible device.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  6. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Interestingly enough I had same issue recently.
    Mine didn't work for two days at all,took the disc out popped it back in and it works fine now.
    I still have few months warranty left,might as well ask Honda to have a look at it.
    Might be hard to prove it but if you don't ask you don't get.
  7. bobbybliss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Rob Heerhugowaard
    Zoran, You should definately make sure it's on record. File a formal complaint so you have some leverage when your unit dies a few days after the warranty expires. A new unit is very expensive!
  8. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Got service coming up soon.
    Will ask them then to have a look at it then and see what can be done.
  9. markbingley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm having no luck at all from Breakers yards. I guess there are not enough of my make/model being crashed! Will keep on trying, but this does seem to be a bit of problem in this car. What is this "contribution" you mention? Is there where Honda consider paying some of the cost even if the car is out of warranty?
  10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes its where Honda will cover part of the cost of replacing whatever needs replacing. Speak to your dealer. And if need be, go to another one. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
  11. markbingley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Today I spoke with DTRONIX Limited, who are the official service centre for Alpine.
    They told me that this is a common fault, and is caused by dust/dirt damaging the Laser and other components.

They told me to take it out of the car, and send it to them for a refurb. Cost will be £179.75 including VAT and delivery back to me.
    They will replace the Laser, and other small components as required.

So now all I have to do is get the unit out of it's little hide hole in the boot! Any tips on how I get it out?
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    1st Generation will get you the DVD rom dismantling procedure soon, also why don you speak to Amrit aka @stealthsingh he is an enthusiast and he repairs DVD roms.get his advise before parting with cash
    markbingley likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just been reading up and came across this really good tip , it says the front cover and PC card slot door must be closed. If you start up the navigation system with the front cover or PC card slot door open, the display will indicate an error message.

Can you guys just check the front cover to the DVD is closed or just open and close it to ensure the switch is not caught.

8th gen tourer front DVD rom drive.JPG

A is the Open Button
    B is The Eject Button
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mark for removal open the rear hatch in the boot remove the inner lining on removal you will see DVD rom drive

it will look like this , this albeit has a space save

Honda Accord Tourer CU2 DVD rom drive AOCUK (4).

on removing the lining you will see your dvd rom drive.

Honda Accord Tourer CU2 DVD rom drive AOCUK (2).

The 10 mm bolts which mount the devices

Honda Accord Tourer CU2 DVD rom drive AOCUK. Honda Accord Tourer CU2 DVD rom drive AOCUK (5).

The side screws which hold the dvd rom drive to the brackets

Honda Accord Tourer CU2 DVD rom drive AOCUK (6). Honda Accord Tourer CU2 DVD rom drive AOCUK (1). Honda Accord Tourer CU2 DVD rom drive AOCUK (3).
    markbingley likes this.
  15. markbingley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You're right.... if you try to run it with the bomb bad door open, the system tells you its open, and to close it.
    So thats not causing my problem. :-( If only it were that simple!

Mine consistently runs for 18mins each trip before it fails, so it has to be something more electrical.

MANY thanks for the thought here. Appreciated

16. markbingley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You are a star... many thanks!
    I guess the inner lining comes away easily, and is just held in with push clips.
    I will now go and explore!

Thanks again

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    no worries every little helps it looks like you have an issue .if you can remove the unit and check if there is no fluff blocking the small cooling fan .it may be getting overheated which in turns shuts it down protecting it from meltdown.
    markbingley likes this.
  18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yup they have plastic push clip which are really hard to remove you a trim puller or push pin lifter otherwise you will snap them for sure.
    markbingley likes this.
  19. markbingley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So an update from me.... I managed to get the inner lining out without breaking the clips (good start!)
    And the unit was quite easy to unplug and unbolt from there.

I sent it over to the official service centre (£179 charge) and they took a look at it. For my unit the problem was not the laser, but the actual mechanism and associated circuitry.
    This is why it worked for a period (about 18mins each trip) and then stopped. Components simply overheated to some degree.

So they swapped out the entire DVD mechanism for a new one, and tested it and sent it back.

I put it back in the car (10min job) and it's been as good as new ever since. They turned the repair round in about 12 days from it leaving my hands, and I'm very happy with the way they dealt with me on the phone etc too.

So.... I'm back up and running, and it wasn't too expensive either. I have put it down (mentally) as a running cost of the car! I've paid that much for a tyre before, so it's no worse financially than getting a puncture!

I hope my experience serves well to help others with their own issues in the future.

Cheers for all your help on this issue on the forum too, it was much appreciated.

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for lets us know ,and great news on your working DVD.:Happy: