ICE & HFT Sat Nav DVD Drive Removal

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Wednesday 21st Jan, 2015.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

Simple question.

If I remove the sat nav dvd unit from my 2004 petrol (2.4) accord tourer. What functions will remain on the on board display. ie can I still operate the heater and stereo etc and it will just give an error when using the sat nav?

I need to remove it to send it away for a refurb but don't want to be without any features especially the heater lol.

Thanks
    Tony

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If no-one can give you a definitive answer, it doesn't take long to tear down the centre console and remove the drive, so I'd give it a shot and see where you're left.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    IIRC the HVAC on the 7th Generation can get affected due to the disconnection of the sat nav there is some interoperability which caused the aircon\climate control to go in a tizz.

I forget what it is now..any reason to why you want to remove it.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Read above mate, to have the drive repaired/refurbished.

5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yeah getting a disc read error nearly all the time. So basically no sat nav or realted functions. Not the end of the world but its driving me crazy now. May be I might need to wait for the warmer months though as I sooo need the heater to work properly. ho mum

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Disc error is a 200 pound fix fella get the laser fixed. job done.

7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

There is a guy on ebay oing it for £80 postal service. I have contacted him and he seems genuine with good feedback. Was going to give him ago, another option is another ebay company for £140 postal service. they do seem reputable.
    Both mean I have to remove the dvd unit to send it away for a few days. Which is a pain. If there is a better option I'm all ears!!
    Thanks
    Tony

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is ok as long as the DVD unit taken out then the HVAC will be ok if you remove the screen then you have the issues. so send the DVD unit away.

9. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks mate. Thats what I needed. Will go for it when I am feeling motivated lol.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It is worth noting that the DVD unit, in which the drive sits also stores all the navigation data you have saved. i.e. Previous Destinations, Favourites etc. Assuming they repair/replace the faulty drive and return the same DVD unit, then you will not lose any of your specific data.

11. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thanks yes I'll loose all my data, however the damn thing hasnt worked for so long I can't remeber what was in there anyway. But its a god point.

12. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    I need to do this too! as mine hasn't worked for go knows how long, I've read it's a bit of an intricate mess about, but I'm going to have a go at repairing it myself, if the lens is noticeably mucky, then I'm onto a winner, otherwise it will need a new laser for a guess! :Tongue:

That will be for when there is some good weather though! :Wink:

13. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hey if you repair it your self let me know how you get on? if the laser needs replacing will you do it your self? I was going to attempt it but couldn't find a supplier of the right part under £80. So if you find one please share the love.

I hate getting others to do things I could do myself but I reachd a dead end with this one and so am going to have to send the unit away unless I can get a new laser pick up for a reasonable price.

I tried cleaning the laser with a metal ruler and a baby wipe inserted through the dvd slot but it didnt really work at all.

14. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Its a bit hit and miss, because just cleaning the laser can be the cure, actually getting access to the laser is very intricate, lots of small tiny screws and ribbon cables, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're competent with electronics and delicate components. If I do every get round to it however, I will do a write up for it.

As it currently stands, my drivers side window is failing to open and that's taking precedence on my to-do list. :Wink:.

15. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ah yes a none working window is kind of more important.

yeah I am fine taking micro electronics apart, its a hobby of mine, done a few iphone repairs and other android tablets in the past so I am confident at that kind of work, in fact I guess the dvd drive is probably bigger than I am used to.
    Its just getting the spare parts I failed on (laser pick up). they must be avialable as there are a few people repairing them on line. just don't know who the supplier or distributor is to buy from.

oh well.

Good luck with your window.
    cheers
    Tony

16. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
  17. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

cool thanks will watch the vid when I get home, they block you tube at work the buggers lol
    be nice if mine only needs a clean but I am not hopeful :-(

18. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    I might be able to source a functional optical drive over the weekend, so I'll attempt to repair my old one and write a how to, knowing in the back of my mind, that if it doesn't all go wrong, I have a working backup anyways :Wink:

19. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

That would be cool. I did check out the you tube video which was quite interesting. Just out of interest where on earth can you source a working dvd drive from? they seem in demand and rare beasts to get hold of. Ebay sellers are asking astronmical prices for what is essentially a second hand dvd player.
    cheers

20. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    I have contacts! :Wink: haha if I manage to get my old drive working, I'll offer it to you so that you can do exactly the same as what I've done,

All providing I can source it soon :Wink: