ICE & HFT Sat nav dvd refurb where to send?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Monday 4th Nov, 2013.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hi Guys

Arrgh having issues with the sat nav in my car now (2004 petrol 2.4 tourer).... Looks like the dvd ROM has decided to give up and is reading a lot of disc read errors. Have cleaned the lens a few times with different methods but no joy.

So anybody recommend a place to get the unit refurbed? I guess it needs a new laser pick up and good check over. Or anybody know where to get a replacement laser from? (i am more than capable :Smile: )

Saw a guy on ebay which appears to be an established shop up north somewhere that will do it for £159 if I send the unit to them but I don't know anything about them or if they are anygood or not.

Would rather use a recommended repairer from here if I can.

Thanks
    Tony!!!

2. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    I need to get the same done. I have just emailed:

DTRONIX Limited
    2, Canons Road
    Old Wolverton
    Milton Keynes
    MK12 5TL

Tel: 0845 313 1642
    Fax: 0845 313 1643
    service[at]dtronix.co.uk

I obtained these details from the Alpine UK contacts page. Hopefully they will be able to help.

I'll let you know what they say (or feel free to contact them yourself too :Smile: )

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ah thanks!!! hopefully these are Alpine recommended since its an Alpine unit. Let me know how you get on, i'll contact them also so we can compare replies. lol
    Thanks
    Tony

4. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    They have replied!

Fixed price repair of £168.52, but not including any major parts. This carries a 12 month warranty on the parts replaced.
    Unit has to be sent to them with the navigation DVD and a cover note of the faults.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I just paid £119 for a new Facelift drive instead (they're a lot more reliable). I'll confirm that replacement went smoothly into my Pre-Facelift when it arrives :Thumbup:

6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Wow £119 for a new one... Where on earth did you find that at such a good price? Lets hope it goes in and works.
    I had heard they were coded to the display unit but hopeing thats just a vicious rumour as I would happily pay that for a replacement more reliable unit.

I also got a reply from Dtronix at £149 + Vat for a repair not including parts. I found a replacement laser and they are coming in at 76 Euros on line so using Dtronix I could be in for a big repair bill just for the sat nav. I hate things not to work though. The ebay offer was for a place called Car hifi services and they want £159 all in which is a better offer. mm decisions. But if I can get a new one for £119 then I am going down that route!

Cheers
    Tony

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Sorry mate, I phrased that wrong - I meant "new to me" :Hey:

It's a breaker's yard job, should hopefully be dispatched today and arrive tomorrow with another few car goodies. I'll keep you posted.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That was unexpected, it actually just arrived, I guess someone forgot to mark it as dispatched. I'll keep you posted on the install :Thumbup:

9. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Nice swan... I look forward to seeing if it works or not. fingers crossed for you I hope it does.
    Cheers
    Tony

10. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham

Got to love the breakers!

Odd that the price is different for the same job (assumption). I'm not liking the sound of these guys, even if their details are on the official Alpine site.

I've decided £100+ is too much to pay for my needs. I don't use the sat nav. The other screens still work. The only thing I lose out on is being able to adjust the time on the clock... I think I'll leave it for now.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The short answer is, it was a no go. Slightly longer answer here.

Guess I'm going to be trying to source a Pre-Facelift drive and then hoping for the best on its longevity.

Last edited: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  12. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Damn what a pain. Thats a shame it didnt work. I'm guessing its a replacement pre facelift working unit then? Imay have a browse and see whats about also. £160 is a hard pill to swallow for sat nav

good luck
    Tony

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah exactly that, there was one the other week for £89 I missed out on, all the drives on eBay now are £200+. That does however mean though I might be able to sell this Facelift unit and fund a Pre-Facelift from that. £119 was hard enough to pull off just to get rid of the annoying "Disc read error" prompt and have a working clock.

14. Cambie Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tony,

Give this shop a call. I know for a fact he does these units (last time I was there he was repairing one for a guy in FRANCE!!!). I can personally vouch for them. Call Sound and Vision Technical Services on 0131 553 2126. Ask for Chris. Explain whats happening. He will tell you there and then if it can be done. Is not a chancer, I've known him 25 years.

Good luck.

Let me know how you get on.

15. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ah thnaks nice one. Good to get a recommendation. I prefer to use somebody who is recommended than just some random company off the net.

Anyhows there is a twist to this story so far.
    don't ask me how but for the moment the sat nav has started working ok.. At the time I used dvd cleaning discs and baby wipes on a ruler into the front to clean it with no avail. Tried a few things in a last ditch attempt but nothing worked. But then one day it started to work. And seems to be ok now. I'm not sure is fixed but while its working I'll save my money. If anybody has any ideas why this happened feel free to post.

However now I know who I can trust I will certainly gie them a call next time it fails to work.

Thanks!

Tony

16. negum Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I also have a problem with my sat nav, i'm getting the disk read error however after no less than 30 minutes ejecting and re-inserting the CD into the drive it will work. I can try this countless times before 30 minutes and it will not work and give the same error but after the car has 'warmed up' it works every time.

Can anyone relate or speculate?

17. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Sounds like it could be a dry joint or cable connection within the unit that is being afected by temperature. As it warms the metals expand just enought ot make connection allowing it to work. Could even be the laser diode on its way out. Either way there is no easy fix I'm afraid, probably neds refurbishing or replacing with a good second hand unit.

personally I would get it refurbed as per the recommendatoin above. A second hand unit will after all be getingon for 10 years old now so a refurb with new parts seems a better solution. Both optoins would cost about the same.

Cheers
    Tony

18. negum Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I thought as much too... thanks for your input :Smile:

19. iceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I all.

Here in Portugal that kind of repair is 150 euros all included.

Made at Alpine repair company.

Cheers!

20. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ray Cambridge
    I bought a sat nav disk off Ebay because the original disk was old. The disk was not official, it was a copy. After about 4 months I started to get disk read errors, and was told this happens with copied disks. I forked out for an Original Honda one and it was cured. Been good for over two years....Not one read error. Any longer and might have knackered the drive..

Last edited: Thursday 28th Nov, 2013