ICE & HFT Sat Nav DVD -> SD / HDD

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by DeviateDefiant, Saturday 9th Mar, 2013.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My question is simply this, is it possible to swap out the OEM DVD-ROM drive and feed the unit data from another storage device? From what I can see, the drive has proprietary connections as opposed to say SATA or old school IDE connection. I know a few of you have experience feeding external feeds to the built-in display, has anyone thought about/tried removing the space-intensive DVD-ROM and replacing it with another storage device?

Shoot me down if it's technically infeasible, I'd desperately like to install an audio input device in that drawer as opposed to the cubby hole beneath.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think the drive is more than just a DVD reader, if I recall correctly the GPS signal also goes into the DVD reader box, which would indicate DVD drive is the guts of the whole sat nav system.

If you want to relocate it you could think about extending all the wires and relocating the drive somewhere else but where would you relocate it to ? If you moved it to under the drivers or passengers seat, it would be too dusty under there. Perhaps the glove box ?

Out of curiosity what audio device do you wish to place there ?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yup the intelligence is in the dvd rom drive the screen is just a dumb terminal.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well that puts my plans out of action. The glovebox for me is much needed storage space (and the glovebox moves forward as opposed to having an access hatch making it a bit more unsuitable), I haven't spent time enough with the interior fascias off to figure out if there's anywhere with space enough to relocate the drive.

Under the seats isn't a bad idea, and it probably wouldn't be too hard to enclose it within a case for a decent dust seal. My worry then would be bumps in the road scratching up the discs, it can already happen quite badly where it is now.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The drive mechanism is designed to cope with a certain amount of bumping around, they are pretty resilient.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Hmm, guess it would be down to being able to easily extend however many proprietary cables and running them under the centre column.