ICE & HFT sat nav install

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by mcatchpole77, Thursday 27th Dec, 2012.

1. mcatchpole77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi has anyone put the satnav/dvd system in a non satnav car Honda have told me it can't be done?? surley if you buy everything (on ebay for £500 approx) plus a GPS antenna it will work? is the loom there or will i need a wiring loom too?

2. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

you will need the whole dash, as the screen is integrated into to it and is a different design to he non sat nav cars..

3. mcatchpole77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The ones on ebay are being sold with the screen is the dash different shape or will the satnav screen fit in my dash? also do you know if the wiring loom is already built in? Thanks for your help?

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Honda are telling you the truth.

Its unlikely an aftermarket Satnav can be fitted. I'm sure if you have the time/money to tear your dash apart to fit one, I suppose you can do anything, but given the way the Accord dash is set up, its hard to see an aftermarket Satnav fitting easily, if at all.

Also, as Accords, like other Honda's will only have wiring in place if the system is installed during manufacture otherwise no, you will not have any extra loom etc for satnav functionality.

What model/spec do you have?

5. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

don't do this, You never know what your going to disturb or damage if you go done this route, spend your money on a decent aftermarket one and have it wired in properly, will cost you a lot less and look just as good..

6. mcatchpole77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi nick what do you mean regarding wiring an aftermarket one in properly? I hate having a relativly new car with a tom tom stuck to the windscreen! its an ES GT model.

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The hassle you will have to go through just to get an aftermarket satnav to literally fit/integrate into your dashboard, you may as well dump the ES GT and find and EX or EX GT that has satnav as standard. There is no physical way, that I know of, or Honda's for that matter, that you can fit a non-Honda satnav into the dash without destroying the dashboard - there is no wiring loom there either, so whats the point?

Stick with your windscreen mounted TomTom or change the car.

8. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think the OP is talking about fitting Honda's own system,one that has come out of a car that's been scrapped car or broken for spares.

Regards,

Ivor.

9. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

there are many after market units that can flip out or even replace the existing stereo with a multi-purpose unit, in my neck of there is a company called car electronics they do a range of aftermarket stuff, have a look
    Install Gallery

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah right, my bad.

Even so, his car would not have the necessary loom. Unless of course he strips it out and then uses the one from the scrapped car....which would be hideously time consuming/costly.

11. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Its not going to be easy, maybe cheaper to buy a car with it standard, as people have said.

I know you can do it in the old E46 BMW 3 series, there is a retrofit route thats well documented, pricey though £700+

Personally I don't feel the need for it as Sat nav software on the iPhone is good, I just have it on a screen mount.

Waze sat nav is free with traffic updates.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just seen this double din adapter on Ebay, so you could remove the factory radio and fit an aftermarket double din sat nav, Pioneer, Alpine etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-Accord-2008-Car-Stereo-Double-Din-Fascia-Surround-Fitting-Panel-CT23HD15-/250899646379

12. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

that adapter is the way to go, depending on the depth of space behind the fascia thre are many excellent units available..

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just thinking, with that adaptor, wouldn't you lose the other screen/panel that gives you temperature/fan speed etc display???

Personally I think its a complete waste of time/money. May as well chop in the basic Accord and get another with the SatNav built in.

14. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    No, you won't lose the AC/ventilation/temp-index. In the non-satnav versions, that info is indicated on the top screen.

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

:Thumbup: Gotcha. Never sat in an Accord without SatNav etc so didnt know.

16. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There are lots of nasty cheap double din sat navs on Ebay.

only issue with double din is its easier for a thief to nick, so don't expect it to last long.

Micktm likes this.
  17. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    You're used to luxury! :Smile:

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nick anything is possible to retro fit provided you have deep pockets and the will to do it, and TBH the latter is more curial to achieve such mods. The thread on the other forum with the OEM kit never mentions the price was this achievable as a resolvable price or was it nicked !!

Price of OEM and the ebay is quite a lot but one thing which the threads don't point is what is to live with do you get random MICU faults and electric gremlins after a few months?

don't get me wrong I love such stories where everything is plug and play but I know Honda cars which don't have a feature and you retro fit it a few months down the road you see bizarre air condition faults .. I would love to hear the long term results before people should open their wallets and say yes mate do it because so and so has done it..