ICE & HFT Sat Nav map updates for new (Dis)Connect system

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Lisbon, Thursday 18th Feb, 2016.

1. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Has anyone spoken to their dealer about map updates for the latest Sat Nav set-up with new Connect ICE system (or DisConnect as I affectionately call it)? It's been out a while now and I've come across several out dated routes. What is required for the update and how do you check installed map version?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    FirstHonda likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Much as I didn't like the Connect system when I had a courtesy car, the ability to update the maps without having to buy a disc does appeal...

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So does this mean the pre face lifts need to buy a usb stick to up date theirs?

I thought I'd read I just need to shove a blank 16gb usb stick in and press update. I tried the sat nav once and it lead me to a dead end so i wasn't impressed at all.

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I thought the pre-facelift system was the same as in my 8th Generation Accord, so having to buy a new disc to update.

In the 4-5 years I've had my Accord and now CR-Vs I've used the navigation for pretty much every long journey and never had a problem. Best navigation system I've used - I've got a Garmin Nuvi portable that is just the most useless thing ever!

6. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Ichiban thanks for the link.

According to the instructions, the vehicle has to be left with the engine running for up to an hour to complete the update! And I thought 6 inputs to switch on/off traffic alerts was a pain. Thank god for this "innovative and intelligent" system!

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You don't need to run the car just attached your car battery to a external battery trickle charger so it maintain the voltage.

They want you to run the car so the alternator is charging the battery if the voltage falls and power fails in between the upgrade it will brick the unit!!!

8. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Time to get out my trusted ctek charger then, although to be honest I wasn't expecting to have to use it quite so soon on my new CR-V!

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you ran the upgrade with ignition on the battery will be flat in 20 minutes.

10. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Instructions say you can drive the car during upgrade, so maybe the thing to do is start upgrade before a long drive and leave ICE well alone and switch off auto stop/start as well.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah do that just make sure the Usb stick does not accidentally get knocked or pulled out whilst the update is happening.

12. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Andy
    I shall be interested to know how long the transfer to stick takes. I haven't got a trickle charger, and I am too old to want to drive longer than two hours without stopping. OTOH I am off to the Dolomites on Friday, which would give me a decent chance to load the stick on the outward run, and apply any available update on the return run a week later. I think, given the placement of the USB sockets on my car, that @Ichiban's misgivings about the stick getting dislodged are groundless. My assistant driver (she prefers "Vehicle Commander") hasn't discovered the storage potential of that enclosure yet.

13. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

@MikeM-271048 Hi Mike, I think I'll wait to see how others get on with this job, or leave it to the dealer at first service. Seems too much scope for mishaps, especially given the complex and sensitive nature of the DisConnect system.

Off skiing by chance?

14. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Yes Andy, Val Gardena. Are you having problems with the Bluetooth connection on your car, BTW? And if so, have you by any chance got an Android watch? My hands free worked perfectly to receive calls (I seem to be organised enough never to need make them while I am driving), and to play stuff through Spotify, until I put on the Motorola watch someone had given me, and that is paired with my phone. Whereupon the car and phone stopped talking to each other. So for the moment the watch has gone back in my bedside table drawer. And the phone has resumed relations with the car.

15. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have had no problems with Bluetooth and iPhone 4S connection. But I only use it for making/receiving hands free calls, I haven't tried syncing phonebook or anything more as I'm saving myself from having to refer to the brick again.

16. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    @Lisbon
    I have now done the Sat Nav update. Against expectation, it was quite fast, even though I don't think the USB stick I used is class 10 as recommended by @tomwillie. The longest part was the map download to my PC. The way they deliver broadband round here involves empty bean cans and bits of string, I think. So, after the two hour download, I put the stick in the car for my regular choir practice drive (35km), To my surprise, the map update was done in 16 or 17 minutes. Also (and @tomwillie didn't mention this), the radio continued to work while I was doing the update; it is entirely possible that all the other Connect features continue to work, too. I just don't get that many phone calls. So, all in all, much more intuitive than I was expecting. And I didn't have to re-install Windows a single time.

Nels likes this.
  17. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

18. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update went as per Garmin website, maps now updated.

Nels likes this.
  19. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    At 160 bar for the disc has anyone updated their sat nav recently. Seems at lot of money for a few extra roundabouts.
    Also are the discs generic. Having a 14plate CR-V ex and a 14plate Civic tourer sr can I use the same disc on both.

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @crv2014ex moved your thread into an existing post.