ICE & HFT sat nav question (again)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by declanswan, Monday 17th Feb, 2014.

1. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry if this has been asked before, I've tried searching but can't find anything.

I think the DVD rom has finally gone in my accord, my question is this: surely a dvd rom is just a dvd rom ?? Would it be possible to give it to a PC repair man and see if he can fix it ? Must be cheaper than the £160+ it would cost otherwise ??

Thanks in advance
  2. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

HI there.
    I have the same problem, There is a guy on ebay doing the repair for 140 and I think I will give him a go when I can afford it. I am not sure if there is more to the dvd rom than it just being a standard dvd rom. I think it has some GPS hardware in it also. The dvd part I guess just reads the dvd but the hardware and rom converts it to sat nav display data. If its just the laser needing repair you can get this done at a pc shop I guess but they won't have a way to bech test it after the repair. I could only find replacement lasers for around £70 each which i consider very expensive. Compared to say a Wii laser at £5.99!! So I am not sure what the answer is... Its a large bill jus to have sat nav but its kind of part of the car so its annoying me that mine is intermittently working. If you find a cheaper solution then please share!!

3. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks tony. I know your gripe about it being part of the car, but i think for the cost of repair you could buy a half decent tomtom !!!