Electrical & Lights Sat nav repair not working help

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Tuesday 17th Feb, 2015.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

after reading a lot of posts on here I cleaned the laser on my sat nav unit with no luck, so bit the bullet and paid out to have the unit professionally repaired by Car hifi services who get good reviews and advertise on ebay.

Got the unit back and installed it and to my dissapointment the unit isnt working.
    So I have sent it back no quibble. But they are unbale to replicate the fault I described. which is as follows.

After initial insalation the sat nav powered up but didnt read the disc, I took it out an put it back in and it worked. great, drove around until it got its position and then went on a 80 mile drive. The unit worked for 20 minutes and then the system locked up/crashed, It did not update the maps I ejected the disc and put it back but this did not reset the system like it did before. I could only reset the system by turning off the engine and restarting.
    At which point it struggled and didnt read the disc at all.

after the car was parked for a couple of hours it was tried again and seemed to work ok. However on the return journet (80 miles) the same thing, it worked for 20 minutes then stopped.

I am not sure what to do as CHS cannot replicate the fault and arre suggesting it might be the sat nav antenna which is faulty.

Could this be true? Do I need a new antenna and if I do how easy are they to fit. A good second hand one of ebay isnt expensive but don't want to go down that road unless I am sure.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tony

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Did you send in your DVD disc with unit itself ?

If not then it could be the disc. Is it an original disc ?

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yeah sent the disc with it. Its not an original disc however it was working perfectly well for a good year before the repair. It started to get disc read errors which I assumed could be the laser failing. (it is over 10 years old) The disc I am using is in perfect condition (no scratches) but any ideas welcome.
    Thanks
    Tony
    - - - Updated - - -
    The guys at CHS have the unit on test and it apparently is working fine on their test rig.

4. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

OK CHS still cannot get the unit to fail like it did in my car and they are suggesting the sat nav antenna.

Can any body tell me where its located as I might just change it while the dash is in bits.

Thanks!

Tony

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

How would a Sat Nav signal issue cause a DVD Read Error to occur ?

6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

well this is the reply they gave me?

"The way it works is to download local map area to units memory (area distance is depending on zoom setting) it then uses that memory and the GPS anntenna to track you until you reach the edge of memory and it downloads new area from disc, so it is not constantly reading disc if you understand, that is why I suspect aerial as it sounds like it keeps losing where you are, I have tested the laser and it is reading disc with no problems and I have GPS aerial on my workshop roof so that is also OK, I will run unit for another few days and hope that a fault shows."

However I am still suspect that the ariel is at fault. To me its not reading the discs properly. what do you think?

Thanks
    Tony

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Well this is the location of the aerial ... Item number 7 in this diagram

B__1120.

8. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Great, thanks! So it looks like I need to remove the screen to acces it as its behind the display screen, bugger oh well. more work.

I did forget to meniton mines a tourer model if it makes any difference?

appreciate the help!

Tony

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It's not too difficult, there's two screws at the top of the unit and two little bolts (labelled number 9 in that diagram above).
    Should just pull out then.

10. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I found it really hard to remove the facia around te DVD drive when fiddling with mine, how did you get yours off (If you have!)

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Oh I've had mine off many times, it practically falls off by itself now LOL

If it's never been off it can hold on tight as those spring clips hold it firm. Once its been off a few times they loosen up a little.

A good set of plastic trim tools helps (search ebay for them).

Otherwise, as long as you have all the screws and bolts off you just pull gently till it comes out.

By the way you need to pull the vent piece out before you can take the display out, that needs tugging towards you.
    - - - Updated - - -
    There's a guide how to remove it all here "xcarlink" MP3 Unit Install

nauest likes this.
  12. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the tips. Looks like I am going to be busy.. need to fit new rear brake pads to. arrrgh

13. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi guys

Sorry still on this one.
    Just looking at buying a decent second hand satnav antenna and wondering, there also seems to be a signal amplifier for sale on some auction sites, Would I need this to? its not shown on the diagram from SpeedyGee.

Are the pre face lift and face lift antenna's and amplifiers (if I need one) different? Just want to make sure I buy the right parts.

Thanks!!

Tony

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Tony, you need to add your car to the Club Garage mate. It will then show at the bottom of each post you make, which instantly tells us what car you have.

That helps us to help you.

I'll try and look more into question a bit later on.

15. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ah right I'll get that sorted.
    Its a 2004 Accord tourer exec spec 2.4 petrol, manual gearbox

Right off to the club garage part of the site!

16. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ok I am a bit confused. There does seem to be a satnav signal amplifier fiited to the 2004 accord but there area a couple of part numbers I can see. These are 39186-sed-0031 or 39186-sea-0031. So I am not sure what the difference between the SED and the SEA versions are or if they are interchangeable. Any body have a clue? Thanks, tony

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

SED is for petrol Accords

SEA is for diesel Accords

18. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I don't know the Honda approved audio unit repair shop off the top of my head? Is the unit alpine @tonygw ? I have not come across a disc read error fault due to the antenna or amplifier? all the units we have sent for repair have had faulty laser units. not to say the shop you are dealing with are incorrect in there diagnosis but without sending to Hondas approved it shines some doubt somehow.

19. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks, no its not an approved Honda repair show (they were double the price :-(

However it is an alpine unit yes.
    It was having the common disc read error they seem to suffer from. however after the laser was replaced it would work for 20 mins and then the system locked up and wouldn't reset. It wouldn't update the maps. Could this be the cause of the antenna / satnav amplifier not providing the right infomration to the dvd unit?

Thanks
    Tony

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

So are you saying that it starts up and it shows the map but just doesn't move around ?