Electrical & Lights Sat nav repair

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Monday 17th Nov, 2014.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

Found this link on a famous auction site.

Seems like a good proice to repair you faulty sat nav dvd drive. Any body had any experience or know this guy? I am seriously considering using him as he is half the price of others I have seen. But would like to know if anybody has any feed back first. Or if there are any pitfalls to using somebody like this? He has good feedback.

cheers
    Tony

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Many members have given their drives to Alpine to sort the problem, the job is always done properly but it costs twice the price.

I'm sure others will speak up if they've tried that service on eBay, but nonetheless - I'd go for it, eBay/PayPal normally have your back if something goes wrong.

Keep us posted, it would be good to have a cheaper solution for the dreaded PFL DVD-ROM issues.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You get warranty with alpine, what guarantee do you get with a person only advertising his mobile number? People can argue its an older car it does not warrant the extra expense but are there any safeguards?

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I guess the safeguards are PayPal and eBay policies.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Even after 6 months what if the units fails after 11 months?

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well, it's a grey area to me as I don't believe repair services are covered under the statutory 12 months.

7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mmm fair points. not sure what to do, there is another guy on ebay offering the same service for £140 but with 3 months guarantee. But I know he is a registered repair centre (in scotland I think)

So I suppose its a game of chance, do I go for half price and take the chance or the full price with 3 months guarantee? I think Alpine charge £200 for the repair when I checked las year but not sure what guarantee thye give. But thats just to much for me to warrant. After all the inbuilt sat nav isnt the best or latest. but it is nice to have it working at least.

mmmm decisions!!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am sure alpine give a year as standard.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

If that was the only alternative and at that price, I'd be going to Alpine and getting the full year as @Ichiban says,

Personally I'd be getting it done for £70, even if it eventually failed (and it one day would, the question is when), I doubt 3 month guy does anything differently.