ICE & HFT Sat Nav TMC operation - lack of.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Doc, Sunday 12th Feb, 2012.

1. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I have used my Sat Nav on several occasions and despite my DVD disc being a couple of years out of date now it still gets me to where I need to go without any issues. However, the only real fault I have with my system is the lack of traffic information reported by the Sat Nav. The system is equipped with TMC (Traffic message channel) and it's operation is described in the user manual but it has never once given me a traffic update or provided any form of traffic information. On the screen there is a red TMC symbol below the compass symbol which I believe should be green when they system is working. But I have never seen it turn green.

I know the the TMC works through the radio frequency and the the system when checked doesn't have a problem with the aerial so can't see any obvious reason for it not to work. I've also had a look through the diagnostic menu on the Sat Nav and the GPS works fine with plenty of satellites found.

I have checked the 'TMC Status' diagnostic menu and after the system cycled down through radio frequencies several times I got the following readings:

Frequency: 102.7
    Field strength: 7-10
    Error rate correction: 0
    Uncorrected blocks/min: 0
    TMC group counter: 0
    Provider counter: 0

or

Frequency: 101.9
    Field strength: 9-10
    1 Error rate correction: 0 or 1
    1 Uncorrected blocks/min: 0 or 4
    TMC group counter: 0
    Provider counter: 0

I take it field strength refers to signal strength which will be important. The last 2 readings are always 0, and readings 3 and 4 are usually 0 but sometimes minimal. Can anyone tell me what these values mean and if they are good or bad, or anything else I should be looking for or at?

Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have exactly the same problem with mine however when I go to France or Belgium it works perfectly the TMC turns green and it will give traffic information.

I really don't know what it could be but its confusing that its working in Europe but not in the UK.

This is on a Tourer 7th Generation by the way.

Last edited: Sunday 12th Feb, 2012
  4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Cheers CJ I didn't see that there, still getting used to the layout of the site a bit. I had a look in the 7th Generation section and couldn't see anything. It explains what my system is doing, now I just need to work out why it's doing it. :Messed:

It's surprising that the TMC is in the DVD drive as being received through the radio signal I would have expected it to be integral in the head unit.

So it would appear from that link my car is constantly in scanning mode which is what the Frequency cycling suggested. It settles on the strongest signal for a few minutes then cycles though them again. Which is why the counter never goes above 0.

Also my signal strength is quite poor only usually reaching about 10 at peak times.

So I have 1 of 2 options, 1: Take a road trip round Europe to check if the system works, or 2: Find someone who's TMC does work and convince them to let me take their dash apart.

My rear screen has been tinted (by the previous owner) and a couple of the heating elements have been damaged. How can I check the effectiveness of my aerial, or would the radio signal just be incredibly poor if some or all of it's elements had been damaged as well?

Swapping out the DVD drive would appear to be the easiest way to check the majority of the system on my car, unfortunately getting my hands on another known working drive which works in the UK will most likely be very hard. :Frown:

Plus as Dave said his system works but not in the UK, so mine might work fine if taken abroad. But then it should work well here too. :Messed:

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have to admit I'd like to have this working I still can't understand why mine never works anywhere in the UK but does work in Europe....

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    the only way to eliminate any potential reasons would be a update of the DVD, it will load the latest firmware and fixes and could fix this issue.

I have never encountered this issue ever as I am running the latest DVD.

7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It was like this with the original version that came with the car and the non original version its using at the moment which is either 2009 or 2010 I can't remember.

Are you running the 2012 disc?

8. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My TMC works fine and tried to divert me the other day when a road was closed (it didn't work). Not sure what sat nav disc i'm on but its the original one so about a 2005/06 or 2006/07. I'll have a look at the settings on mine when I get chance.

9. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A picture of the TMC Status screen would be handy.

I just found my Sat Nav donor car now hehe :Wink:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The latest is 3.60 but waiting for it to come, currently running 3.52 , The original sat nav did have some issues with frequency and GPS signal getting crossed. It was a situation is you were in the south west of England the map all of sudden jumped to mainland France.

Honda replaced the units on the affect models, this was never seen on the HFT voice equipped version two sat navs.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I think we should engage TMC to find out if there is an issue with TMC broadcasts in your area.. it could be as simple as that.

12. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'm using v3.04 2006-2007. It's an original disc and the one that was supplied with my car when it was registered in '08.

Cheers Paul, if you could find any settings which might prove useful that would be great. I've had a look through the diagnostic menu and can't find anything obvious.

CJ, I've travelled as far up as York and down to Hampshire and it's never worked.

13. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've done Barnsley to Dover and its never worked I was well shocked when it worked in France 3 different trips and once in Belgium. Can the HDS test/interrogate any of the TMC system?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am afraid not no option TMC on the sat nav is just a listener , that fact it work in Europe mean there is an issue in frequency and would need Alpine to have a look.

15. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Think I'll try and get my hands on a later version disc then swap the drive out if that don't fix it. It seems like the easiest thing to do first. I should then be able to narrow the problem down enough to know what needs fixing.

Anybody know of a spare disc or drive I could borrow? :Wink:

16. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Some screen shots of mine today...

WP_000092. WP_000093.

17. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

A couple of shots of mine. Like I`ve said in another thread I`m having terrible interference problems on my radio, the noise makes it unuseable. As far as I know the TMC comes down the FM radio channels and with all the interference on mine it probably explains why I`m getting a red TMC icon

It used to work fine before the radio problems on my 3.05 satnav disc. I now have the latest disc version 3.60 and still getting the problem

TMC2.

TMC1.

18. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Davemazo I see you have a TMC Group Counter of 1. So that would suggest your unit managed to receive data at some point. But your Field strength is just incredibly low at 3 and 7.

Where as with mine and Dave's the TMC group counter is always at 0 because it only scans and never manages to receive.

19. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don`t pretend to understand all of the technicalities but would the low field strength be down to poor radio reception

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ok I have been reasearching this topic for a while to see which unit houses this TMC function, thanks to both Dave's for the Pictures it had helped a lot...

Barnsley Dave

in your case looks like in change of the frequency the Field strength has come out of the below par 3 to the recommended 7 strength range, ideally you want a slightly higher than the minimum 7 for TMC to work. But the Uncorrected blocks and TMC group counter are not even registering !! on a working sat nav these should be constantly rising as these are the numbers of the actual TMC messages that are being sent in the radio signal for the unit to interpret and display.

If the unit is not even picking up the these reading then the only option to remove the current Navigation drive unit the one where the Disc is inserted into with a good working unit to prove the concept, the display unit apparently does not house these functions.

Ormskirk Dave

Are above are those two reading moving ? i.e Uncorrected blocks and TMC group counter , if you do go on your longish journeys please test as your condition is not as bad as Barnsley Daves , your is still registering something it could be the signal strength in your area is poor for TMC broadcasts. If this problems still lies then it is your Navigation drive unit.