ICE & HFT Sat Nav update

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by mylightweight, Sunday 11th Aug, 2013.

1. mylightweight Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,
    I have finally taken the plunge and bought myself 06 plate diesel tourer with 127k on the clock and full dealer service history :cool: I am very happy with it. Bought it last Monday.

My question is regarding an updated sat nav disc

I am looking at this
    http://bit.ly/13PLmP5

Has anyone bought one?

I have read horror stories about dodgy discs wrecking the nav system. Can the nav be reset back to factory settings if the update disc sends it pear shaped?

I'll post a pic of the car (nicknamed Rhonda the Honda by the wife!) when I've had chance to wash a polish it.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Denny26355 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi There - I am new to the forum but can confirm that I purchased a later 'back-up' DVD for my 2004 Accord (not voice activated Sat-Nav). It updated the system and worked well - but the time it takes the system to 'boot' is much longer than the original disc that came with the car (several minutes compared to almost immediately) and after periods of damp & cold weather the unit would give a 'disc read' error and wouldn't start at all.

The replacement disc had a matt paper label as opposed to the original so I thought it was probably picking up moisture which might be causing the problem so I burned a copy onto a blank Verbatim DL DVD and since then everything is fine. Hope this helps.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Denny what happens with the err "backup DVD" (as you call them) is that the the Sat Nav unit struggles to read them (hence what your seeing with taking long to boot and failing in cold weather). What it has to do is increase the power on the laser to try in read them. Over time these non genuine DVDs will damage the Sat Nav drive as the laser will have failed !

I would stay well away from them. Genuine second hand DVD's do periodically pop up on ebay. Set yourself up with a search on ebay that emails you when it has found something and get those genuine second hand DVDs.

- - - Updated - - -

"Rhonda the Honda", LOL. I like it

AccordCU2 likes this.
  4. Denny26355 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh No !!!!

I have had a long look around the site & have already seen the thread about re-setting the Sat-Nav with it's original disc....... the trouble is that second-user non-voice Sat-Nav discs seem to be like 'rocking horse poo' as I spent several months looking for a later one on E-Bay etc before I went down the 'backup' route.

The unit does boot up a lot quicker since I burned the content onto a DVD with no paper label - but I confess it is still slower than with the original disc so your advice is very useful - many thanks. This & the reset instructions will let me avoid a failed laser crisis in the future which is certain to be expensive to fix. I wonder how many people are victims of this??

Take care - Denny

5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have a back up disc and its great. its actually faster to boot than the original honda. the reason they sometimes take longer is because of the fine dust layer on the laser. I used a ruler and baby wipe wrapped around the end to clean the laser. its a myth they damage the system. the system cannot increase power to the laser its just the laser is active for longer if it can't read the data it needs. clean the laser and it will be fine.

6. Denny26355 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you tonygw - how did you actually do this? I mean using a ruler & baby wipe..... In my mind's eye I conjure up an image of wrapping the wipe around the end of the ruler & poking it in the DVD slot but I may be being a bit silly here?? If anything has to be dismantled I fear the worst!!

Take care - Denny

7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yep that's exactly what I did. I used an engineering steel rule as it is very flat and only about 1.5 mm thick. wrapped the baby wipe around the end a couple of times and made sure there would be still some poking out if anything happened. I kind of measured it against the dvd. then carefully inserted it gently. moved it about a bit and removed. didn't see much on the wipe but it did the job nicely. good luck.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mushroom please do not offer CD copying services these DVD are copyrighted and is illegal to do so, Counterfeit and cloning is prohibited on this forum

9. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi there, no of course, I don't have the ability to offer copies of dvd,s or would ever dream of it. I was just sharing my experience. if I have broken any forum rules then please delete my posts.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No its fine Tony just be mindful please, I don't want a knock on my door saying our site has facilitated copying of copyrighted material.

if someone has been doing so then I will not hesitate to give the details to the rossers\authorities.

11. Denny26355 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It wasn't you Tony - it was 'mushroom' but his post was deleted.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yup :Wink: