ICE & HFT Sat Nav Warranty

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ray Ambrose, Tuesday 20th May, 2014.

1. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ray Cambridge
    Can anyone tell me if the satnav is covered on my 2008 Accord. I renewed the extended warranty on it at the beginning of the year, and am having trouble with it, nothing new, been dicky for past two years and they have never resolved it, although twice they sent unit away for new laser. They have scratched their heads and say they don't know why it keeps chucking up message "Unable to read disk. Please consult you honda dealer". Last week a guy at honda took my disk for a while and told me it had performed faultlessy for several days in another car. Service manager, despite this says it might be the disk. Angry if it is because I only bought it three years ago new, put it in the unit and havn't touched it. So was told they would consult Honda UK technical support, but got a feeling inside that I have been dumped..

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Damaged discs may not, but since yours is fine, the fault must be the unit.
    You've got extended warranty, therefore they must sort it out.

From the experiences of others on here, HUK check things through carefully, which will take a little time.
    Before approving the replacement/repair it is perfectly correct for them to ensure everything is genuine and not misuse etc.
    That's not casting any aspersions on you, it is just procedure as some have tried it on in the past.

When did the dealer contact HUK ? I'm assuming very recently...

Having said all that, I'm sure they'll sort it out for you. Honda will not 'dump' you.
    Not unreasonable to ask dealership for a progress update., or even contacting HUK directly.

Keep us posted

3. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just an update. They called me in and subjected the sat nav to lots of tests. Result, they thought the disc was faulty. I went away and received a phone call later that I would be getting a new disc, with Honda picking up the cost...Will keep you posted.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's really encouraging progress.
    Hope the new disc sorts it out. :Smile:

5. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Another update. Got a phone call saying my new disk had arrived at the garage. Went down and placed it in sat nav unit in boot. It read "updating, please don't turn off engine" and having updated, restarted and promptly put up message saying "Unable to read disk. Please contact your Honda dealer" So back to square one. This time Honda have removed the box to send away again...but also removed the head unit to send away also, so I'm driving about with half my dashboard missing. Will keep you informed...

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bizarre why has the screen been removed the sat Nav brains are in the boot the screen is just a display !!!!

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sounds like a faulty DVD reader unit.
    Simple to change, but as CJ said, it's all in the boot mounted unit.

8. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Only thing is, the boot mounted unit has been sent away twice for repair.....Max respect for honda cambridge for trying to help me. Nothing seems too much...

9. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

And agree with you Ichiban, display works for everything, Audio, reversing camera, general satnav. Must be that box in my boot...

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A thought.
    If the 'repair' doesn't work, then...
    Ask if they have any similar used vehicle for sale that has a working DVD unit that can be swapped into your car.
    If it that doesn't work then clearly the fault is something else.
    If it does, then they need to get you a replacement unit.

11. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

12. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got a phone call today from Honda garage. "Your car is ready and sat nav is fixed".Went down with no confidence whatsoever. But it works. It works. After all this time...And I've been given a new satnav disk free. Life is good again..and thanks for all the input from friends here...

Ichiban and Chunkylover53 like this.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Great news Ray :Happy:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  15. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just a little note. While they attempted to cure my satnav they loaned me a Civic tourer. The salesman saying it had all the features of my Accord. Well its like comparing an apple and orange. Both good, both tasty, but completely different. It might be a good car but it's not a patch on my Accord....I couldn't buy a Civic. But that leaves me with the age old problem..are Honda going to produce a UK Accord. I want one...

16. Oilburner26 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Surrey
    May be of interest I had similar problem with sat nav saying disc error, this again was if the car had not been used for short time, my cure was remove the sat nav disc then re-boot the system without disc switch off then insert the sat nav disc again it worked ever time, I also noted at the time the disc was spotless after removing so did not clean it, hope this helps others with these occasional problems.

17. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Happy to say that Sat Nav works nearly perfect. Only one thing wrong, and I'm not going to complain after all the work that Cambridge Honda put into solving my problem, they gave me a new disk for all the sufferings. The thing wrong is the prediction part of the sat nav, which warns you about possible problems ahead, and reroutes you, doesn't work. It is greyed out on the screen. Maybe there are two types of disk you can order but I'm not going to complain....