ICE & HFT Sat Nav Woes

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Friday 4th Mar, 2016.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

My satnav has been acting funny this week... It was all pulled out last Sunday when @Simes helped me fit the grom kit and wire in the dashcam... both of which appear to be working exactly as expected.

But the satnav itself is doing some odd things.

It randomly seems to lose it's position... I can be driving along and it's following the road I'm on perfectly... then it goes of somewhere else and I don't know how or when it happens because I'm not watching the screen. It first happened when I was driving home on Sunday from Simes, but I appeared to be on what I thought was a new section of road and assumed the map wasn't up to date, as I was using my phone navigation at the time (driving, easier to use the OK Google than stop).

It then leaves these little blue dots across the map as it randomly wanders across open spaces and if I'm lucky it may jump back to the right position at some random point.

The problem is... it's not even following my direction correctly. I made a 90º turn at a roundabout and the icon on the map rotates 180º and starts going back on itself.

Now here's the weird thing... I went into the diagnostic menu and checked everything... all tests came back green, it's connecting to at least 4-6 satellites. Every check I made says all systems are green or it's telling me OK... but it's also telling me VSA is off when it's on (the light on the dash is off)

I've tried resetting the cars position. Today I was trying it as after a 3 mile round trip it said I was 4-5 miles away in the next town over. I go into the diagnostics menus, vehicle position... but cannot move the icon. I seem to recall that in the past I could.

I'm also getting the DVD error a lot, in the past it's happened once or twice a month... On Weds during a 25 mile drive home, I reset the dvd 5 times and it still gave me the error. The following day it was fine, as it's been on the 5 or 6 times it's been used since.

There seems to be some correlation to the amount of time it takes the drive to start up... today for example the OK button appears on screen within 30 seconds of starting the car... on other occasions it's taken 5-10 mins.

Do you think there are cables loose in the back that could cause this?
    Is the DVD unit on it's last legs?

Tomorrow I might try and pull it all apart and check all connections.

How easy is it to strip down the drive, clean up the lens and grease up the sliders that the lens mechanism sits on... I've done it on a home stereo before, but never on something so compact like a car DVD drive.

2. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Are you using a genuine Honda Sat Nav dvd or a copy DVD disk?

3. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

A copy... I bought what I thought was a new one but turned out to be a copy... I managed to get my money back thankfully... but the only original disc I have is scratched up and from 2005... So I don't have an alternative.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Heckler, used disc version 2.07 £69.99?

5. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I had been searching ebay but could only find V2.02-V2.05 But there are a couple problems...

1: No idea if the problem is caused by the disc or not as I've been using the same disc since July last year
    2: Not spending £70 on a 2nd hand disc that still won't have the road I live on... The only version I would have is a V2.11 which is the last year they did V2 discs and the one I have.
    3: Not spending £70 on a replacement disc if the DVD drive is on it's way out.

I'd much rather pull the disc out and put it to one side than spend money that I cannot be certain will fix the issue... I've got the grom kit installed and can use the navigation on my phone through the car system... However, this means that the display will keep going off every few seconds and you have to manually hit a button on the head unit to see any of the screens.

If the DVD unit is going to go kaput, I'd be better off buying a stock non satnav head unit for less than that disc costs and using the grom/phone... but then I'd lose the mini display above the vents....

I need to diagnose the problem before paying out money.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I'm gonna do a force download from the diags menus tomorrow and reinstall the firmware/software from the disc again... See if that helps. I also need to pull the top panel on the dash and reroute the USB lead to the new magnetic mounts position.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Fair enough. Just wanted to ensure you knew that you could get newer discs.
    Copy discs do damage the laser unit. IIRC, they are about £100 to replace.

7. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Oh dear.... something went wrong.

I initiated the force download this evening and it seemed to be going fine... then a message appeared on the screen saying 'Please Check Disc' at the top and just a load of dots at the bottom.... and there it remained for gawd knows how long not making any noise from the DVD unit at all. I decided to reinsert the disc but nothing happens now... the screen just went blank and now doesn't boot up at all.

I restarted the car and nothing... the screen doesn't even come on now.

I assume that something went wrong in the update process and now I've made a right mess of it.... Please tell me there's a way to reset the whole system to factory settings

8. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I would recommend cleaning the DVD Rom drive laser (There is a guide on here for that) That sorted some very strange behavior for my system.

As far as resetting, try leaving it with the battery disconnected for a while ? :Messed:

Although interrupted firmware download on any device is almost sure fire way to write it off... Sorry

9. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That's what I'm afraid of... if the drive was acting up as I think and the update failed as a result... I may have b0rked the whole system and it will need reflashing.

Can anyone tell me if it's the headunit that stores the critical data or the DVD drive?

I am tempted to bin the whole head unit and dvd drive and get a stock head unit 2nd hand... I've got the grom kit and a decent phone so satnav isn't going to be a problem, in fact it may be better because the maps are always kept up to date. If I sold them on for spares/repair it might cover the cost of buying a stock head unit.

10. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    If the system won't boot at all, there is no way of sorting it without a computer driving the memory, doubt even Honda dealers will have that.

The system only stores maps and nav info (Guidance algorithm, etc) on the DVD, the complete operating system and preferences are stored inboard memory.

I have a phone on bluetooth with CoPilot navigation on standby at all times in case I hit a road my system dosn't have (Happens quite a bit!)

11. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Bollox.... Everything else seems to work... although I'm too afraid to try and change from the Aux to CD/Radio. But the drive doesn't start up, and the screen remains off at all times.

So the only option wolud be a replacement headunit... and the cheapest I found on ebay at the moment was £125 for the sat nav one... £60 for a stock one... but the other issue with going stock is losing all of the info up on top display above the vents... I'd need to replace that with a stock one too.

12. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Its not ideal, feel bad for you! I will see if I can come up with any solutions.

Are all your HVAC and core audio controls working?

13. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I had it set to Aux and the grom kit still connects and I can still play audio through it from my phone either satnav, music or anything else. The top display is also still working but I forgot to check the time was correct as that is taken via the GPS signal.

AC seems to work OK, and the rear heated screen light came on, as did the front one... Dual zone light came on but I didn't see if the top display changed along with adjusting the temp... it was dark and freezing cold out there and I wanted to get back inside.

14. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Well F*ck me sideways with a cucumber.... it fixed itself.

Don't ask me how... but after it seemed to go kaput on Friday evening and wouldn't respond to anything... I got in the car tonight put the key in the ignition and was just about to start the engine when I saw the screen flicker out of the corner of my eye.... it popped up the green progress bar that shows the update progress... filled it up quickly and restarted itself.. Lo and behold the satnav boots up and the screen comes on.

I take back everything I thought about using a copy disc because the old V2.05 disc I had tried (and didn't work on Friday) was the one in the drive today and the OK button appeared within seconds.

I will now go on the hunt for an original V2.10 or 2.11 disc... if anyone has one for sale please let me know. I can't go back further than that because Pre 2010 maps don't show certain places I go to.

Simes, nauest and hondream like this.
  15. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Haha, good old Honda! didn't see that coming. I highly recommend cleaning the ROM Laser then have at it with the new disk.
    - - - Updated - - -
    When was the 2.11 disk released? Mine is an 04 so may be worth a new disk for me also.

hondream likes this.
  16. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It looks like the V2 disc correspond to the year... by coincidence it would seem. So V2.11 is 2011 and the last one they released for that unit... the facelift models had a different unit (as well as those with/without dual zone A/C) and V3 map discs.

I've never seen on newer than V2.07 on ebay... and the only ones I have found in the past were copies, which I found after purchase and got my money back

17. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Would be great to find a reliable source for these...

18. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I don't have the required tools to strip down the DVD drive... needs some very tiny tools and whilst I have loads for computers... these are even smaller.

19. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Fair enough! I seem to remember I did it using only my mini screwdriver set.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I also seem to rrmrber someone mentioning a way of doing it without dismantling the drive at all!

20. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    Genuine v2.11 dicsc are hard to come by. Like me if you have one you won't let go of it.

I tried copied discs for a short time but after destroying one laser already I won't be going down that route again. I paid £100+ for mine but the boot up time between genuine and copy is night and day with no lagging. Seemed pricey initially but in hindsight it's one of the better investments I've made.

v.2xx system seems far less forgiving when it comes to copied discs compared to the v.3xx system

nauest likes this.