ICE & HFT Sat nav

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Oolix, Monday 13th Oct, 2014.

1. Oolix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have a problem with the sat nav.

I have searched and read the sticky a etc and had no luck with restring etc

Some time the map will come on but most the time it doesn't work at all.

When it does you can't enter a postcode and enter anything for that matter.

Would it be a new sat nav system or just the DVD drive I would need to replace.

I can't update it cos it won't read the discs I have one original disc and a copied update version.

It is getting annoying now not being able to use the sat nav.

Thanks

Oolix

2. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I would say it would most likely be the drive, have you tried cleaning the laser? I think people have used a ruler and baby wipe. Do you have control of the air - con via touch screen when it stops working

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You can send the DVD drive unit off for repair. Air con will still works fine.

Clock won't update though when BST changes to GMT end of October, unless Sat Nav works and gets GPS signal.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm 95% sure it's the drive, it's a very common and well documented issue on the site. The Pre-Facelift drives have a laser which is prone to wear out, it also happens to wear out faster with low-quality copied discs.

Every Pre-Facelift Sat Nav owner has to deal with this at some point or another, the cheapest route is getting Alpine to refurbish and replace the laser (£150-180 I believe), or you can source another Pre-Facelift drive although you're then gambling on having the issue come up again.

5. Oolix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys.

Yes I have tried cleaning the lense but no good.

Sometimes it does work but most the time it doesn't.

When it does work thou the map comes up but you can't input a postcode, it won't let you type anything making me think it's the sat unit itself.

Thanks again guys

6. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    I have this issue, just fails to read the majority of the time, used to work fine mind you, but for the price of refurb, makes me wonder if I should just not bother and stick to my trust 2013 tomtom... :Messed: I might strip it down and take a look myself! :Smile: If I do I will be sure to document it for the benefit of everyone else too! :Smile:

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Guaranteed that the laser has gone, cleaning works occasionally for people but they're a ticking time bomb in general.

8. Oolix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looks like that is the route I'm going have to go down strip it out and refurb it.

Is there a guide on this forum for taking it out.

I know I will go and have a search lol

Oolix

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Search does tend to work well :Wink:

Unfortunately not mate, but would be great if someone could do a DIY to stop so many members relying on Alpine to do the job.

I've torn down the Pre-Facelift and Facelift drives side by side before to see if I could swap the laser over, it was a no-go. There's some pictures on the project log for my '03 Accord.

10. Oolix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I have replaced the DVD unit in the main DVD box. Bought a new one from ebay. Pretty simple job, but I did it before my time on here, so probably no photos. :Frown:
    Doing it that way, I kept all my saved data. IIRC, cost about £100.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    This is 100% indicative of a failed laser. What happens as you type is the unit reads an index off the DVD but as the laser has failed and it can't read the index so the postcodes don't show up.

13. Oolix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

:Frown: mother in law will not be happy thanks for your help guys