ICE & HFT Sat-Nav

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by StuH, Monday 18th Mar, 2013.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Long shot I know as I've tried to find an answer to this for two years.

This is how my sat-nav behaves;

Switch on the ignition and leave for longer than a couple of seconds between the ignition settings and the sat nav will shut off completely, by this I mean if you select the accessory position the sat nav will start but leave it for any length of time before actually switching on and dvd rom shuts down and won't restart. If you just go through the ignition switch pretty much without hesitating the dvd rom works fine and the sat nav is fine. However, if you were to switch the engine off you have to wait about five minutes before restarting if you want the sat-nav working otherwise it won't restart.

I started getting the disc error message before the unit would not boot at all so I bought a second hand unit. The unit was from a 2007 so it didn't actually fit mine (different plug fittings at the back), however the laser pick-up etc was compatible so I just swapped them and since then the unit has been great except for the above.

I have learned to work around it but would love to sort it.

Like I said,anyone any ideas at all???

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How much dismantling is required to change the laser ? Complete stab in the dark but i recon a ribbon cable or some other such connector may not have been seated correctly during the laser pickup swap.

3. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    It was doing it before I did the transplant, the actual performance since doing that has improved (much faster) when its working of course. My feeling is something to do with the power side. There is a voltage drop across the ignition so I changed the ingnition switch without any luck.

4. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

check your battery voltage? and switch off all electrical goodies and try again. It sounds exactly like you say a low supply voltage causing issues witht he DVD rom.
    you battery may be on its way out or to many other electronic goodies are dropping the voltage belwo 11V ... quite possible and would cause the symptoms you have.

Tony