Optional Extras Satnav disc update

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by jetblakk, Saturday 12th Dec, 2015.

1. jetblakk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Vik Corby
    Hi all been looking at upgrading my satnav disc for my CR-V lots of disc for sale on net but but the reveues don't look verry good. So was wandering has anybody bought an up to date disc from Honda dealer and how much ? can't find out but bin told expensive from them.But they won't upset the satnav unit like the ones from the net any feed back would be great cheers

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have bought genuine 3.90 version back in July on ebay for £90.
    Think Honda wanted somewhere around £160 IIRC.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

5. BobLell Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bob Chester
    What do we think of this on eBay chaps, worth a try?

(Link to an illegal copy DVD removed by Nels)

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 13th Dec, 2015
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It's a copy Bob, burnt onto a Verbatim DVD.
    1 It will damage your DVD player.
    2 It's illegal.

Since it is a link to an illegal copy, I've got to remove it

I would strongly advise against buying it. Genuine used discs do turn up on ebay. You just need to keep looking, or go down the route in my post above. (#4)

FirstHonda and BobLell like this.
  7. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    As Nels said Bob it's worth buying a genuine disk if you plan to keep your car.
    It will outlast any copy and will not cause problems with your DVD drive

FirstHonda, BobLell and Nels like this.
  8. BobLell Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bob Chester
    Fair enough and thanks for the advice, which I will take and continue looking for an original.

FirstHonda and Nels like this.
  9. Green teapot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andrew Banbury
    Just to show my ignorance; why need to update disc? Does the unit not use GPS-my 07 bought last week seemed to give reliable route yesterday,including newish road changes near Warwick . Do the newer discs have less clunky graphics,or do they just update places of interest etc?
    Cheers.

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    The unit uses GPS to pin point your location. The discs contain updated map so if they built a new road or altered direction etc they new disc will show you updated info. Graphics remain the same as they are dependent on hardware.

I use a simple stick-on TomTom and everytime it updates maps it revises speedlimits, maps corrections, new addresses/postcodes which I like. If you are not having issues with your current discs then no need to update.

Green teapot likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Green teapot and legend-ary like this.
  12. Green teapot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers for the info folks. Do still have a garmin we used in our now sold 2nd Generation cr.
    I'll see how we get on with it as it is-appreciate the link to the new disc tho.

13. Nikon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

whats wrong with a Map i am sure its much better and its much better planning i use a map what happens if they close a road and then what come on guys use a map much more interesting

Green teapot likes this.
  14. Green teapot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good point Nikon: quite agree that you have much better awareness as to where you are in the Country and what's around you. I'm sure many young of today have no idea how to find a place on a map. But for convenience and if you don't gave a navigator then why not use the technology available (drove from Banbury to east London late yesterday and it was a godsend)...
    You could apply that logic to any labour saving device on modern vehicles-electric Windows? Electric starter motor? Why not enjoy the workout and exercise ! Definitely a place for a map in the car though stil....

15. Nikon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah true I am not putting down sat nav just that our younger generation don't use maps and yes there not the norm but maybe they should be but I guess things moves on
    Sat nav forward.