ICE & HFT SatNav Removal

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Wednesday 27th Mar, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Hi, I've noticed the SatNav in my car isn't flush down the left side and I'm thinking it's been out at some point, plus there's a very annoying rattle/buzz coming from it and in another thread there's advice that a few strips of foam tape should sort it.

Does anyone know if there's a special tool required to remove the SatNav unit etc? Or is it a simple pull out / unscrew job?

Cheers!

2. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Awesome cheers! I'm wondering if a cable or wire has got jammed when it was reinstalled.

4. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Could be but not sure where to be honest. It is straight forward just watch for the clips at the top of the console that covers the dvd-rom as they can be very hard to pull out. if you are going to use a tool make sure you have a cloth protecting the surfaces or tape them up.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, when you have everything out you can see how well made these cars are. When I've stripped interior parts away usually you find where the cost-cutting is, not in these!

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Well, I'm not a happy chap.

Got myself a nice trim remover and spent a few hours on the squeaks and rattles. Started off with the top dash above the SatNav unit, no problems there and it came out nicely. Removed the three screws that were now exposed and the SatNav slid out. Hang on, I thought, what about the two bolts hidden underneath?

So I start stripping the gear stick cover, ash tray out etc and there are no bolts there so this kinda makes my SatNav rather easy to steal! I also noticed the metal/plastic clips for the ashtray were missing so it's only the two screws holding it in. Looks like someone's been at all this and not been very careful. The car has a full Main Honda Dealer service history so I can only presume it's been a Main Dealer that's removed this previously so not impressed if this is the case. Coupled with the fact that my local Main Dealer won't use the proper oil in my car but only use 5W30, well I'm starting to lose faith with the Main Dealers.

Anyway, perhaps these missing clips aren't helping with the noises, but after some soft tape inserting etc I've managed to eliminate almost all rattles in the car except for the damn buzzing rattle that comes from just above the centre vents. I then removed the flimsy metal bar inside and the noise came back slightly different pitched but after pressing down it seems to have gone - I'm sure it will return. I'm wondering if a little grease here and there may help. perhaps that metal clip just below the hazard lights button?

As for the centre console and the creaking noise when resting my arm on it, I've found it's the small rubber feet on lid part rubbing against the money tray which is causing it. A tiny bit of Red Rubber Grease and it's gone! A pillar noises fixed by pushing in some soft tape in the black pastic corner bits where the mirrors are - they seem to rub against the window seals. Glove box sorted by putting a few layers of soft tape just where the small rubber feet connect against the dash as you are closing it. This makes it a tighter close and seems to work.

I've not looked it up yet but does anyone know if it's possible to buy the small clips for the ashtray and also the two bolts for the SatNav?

7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd turn the radio up!:Wink:

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The bolts you should be able to replace with standard bolts. Should be some standard metric size.

The clips for the astray, you probably need to get from someone breaking the car.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    After driving this morning it seems that almost all the noises are gone, you get the odd noise when going over rough surfaces but I guess that's to be expected. However, the SatNav bolts I'm worried about from a security point of view and it's going to be really annoying to strip the console down to install these bolts and then have squeaks return! lol

I also checked out the pollen/cabin filter and there's no way this has been changed in the last service, probably even a few services to be honest as it's filthy with leaves in it etc. The engine air filter is nice and clean though so this does confirm to me that it's simply been ignored by the Main Dealer and not due to environmental conditions. Such a quick simple job to replace as well, seriously not happy with that dealer.

So looking forward to getting the alignment done tomorrow though!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's two photos, one showing the last Main Dealer Service and the second showing my cabin/pollen filter. The air filter has been done and the oil looks good, but I really don't understand why this wasn't done as it's such an quick easy job. Really disappointed seeing as it's a Main Dealer and what with the problems my brother has had with servicing things being missed with his 2007 Civic, I'm not all that sure about using a Main Dealer for my own servicing.

View attachment 8165

View attachment 8166

Strange, the attachments have stopped working?

- - - Updated - - -

Tried again...

Service History. Pollen Filter.

I also came across more problems whilst getting to the SatNav bolts (turned out to be 5mm bolt in case anyone else needs to know as Honda Dealer didn't know).

Missing Bolt. Missing Nut.

I'm worried about what else has been left half done, perhaps I should contact the previous owner to see what work was done on the car and where?

- - - Updated - - -

I also thought I'd add that these little round felt pads from B&Q are great for supressing rattles etc, I've replaced most of the soft tape with them as the tape would start to rub also but the fabric tabs are perfect and quite thick so when you clip in the trim it's a nice tight fit :Smile:

Last edited: Friday 29th Mar, 2013