ICE & HFT SatNav zoomed out but won't zoom back in

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Mase, Tuesday 3rd Dec, 2013.

1. Mase Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi There

My kids were playing with the satnav whilst waiting for me to come in to the car on the weekend for a day trip.

I noticed that the Satnav was on but zoomed far too far out.

I tried zooming in and it tells me that it is 1/8mile zoomed in but it is by far from that. I can not see a road name, I just see thrin grey lines outlining roads. Navigation is a real problem now as I can miss smaller roads that go b.

Has anyone suffered this or can they suggest some setting I can change to sort this please.

Many Thanks in advance.

Mase

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    click on the grey ICON on the corner of the screen.. it will zoom in and zoom out.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Also does you FR-V have zoom up and down buttons ?

4. Mase Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey CJ

Sorry for not getting back to you yesterday evening. Wifey had taken fatty out on a cruise with the kids to an ICE cream parlour. Fatty being the FR-V.

I looked at the Satnav this morning on the way to the train station. There is only an icon in the top right corner that shows a compass which eather shows "N,E,W,S" or an analogue compass with a digital pin that moves in whichever direction the car is travelling in.

I tried pressing points on the screen to see if the zoom changed but nothing.

I do have a zoom in/out button just below the screen (a physical button not a touch screen button) which I have zoomed in to the maximum possible which is 1/20 of a mile and it still seems so far zoomed out. This is now becoming really frustrating..........

Not sure how to put pics up on this site but I will try and upload some.

P.S. - Just thought of something whilst writing this. The screen is also showing me a birds eye view of the map and not an angled view like TomTom's do. Is there a setting for this that may change the viewing angle? I have been through all the settings I can think of with reference to the SatNav but cannot see anything obvious that would help this problem.

Many Thanks in advance for help here.

Saf

5. Mase Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I looked in the SatNav manual that came with the car yesterday and all the screenshots within the manual are the same I can see on my screen now, which makes me think am I in illusion in thinking that I have seen my SatNav zoomed in closer like I would see on the TomTom screen. Maybe....

Is there any chance that someone can zoom as far into their satnav as possible, 1/8 and 1/20 scale and please put up a screenshot image (upload a pic) so I can confirm if I am seeing a different screen as my memory s very bad and I cannot remember if I have seen my satnav zoomed in closer.

I hope I am not barking up the wrong tree here. Here's hoping.

6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't think it will do the angled view like TomTom's my Sat Nav in my Accord certainly doesnt.

7. Mase Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Dave for confirming that.

Is there anyone out there with the pics zoomed in 1/8 and 1/20 please?

8. Mase Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

Been really busy at work with projects

"Is there any chance that someone can zoom as far into their satnav as possible, 1/8 and 1/20 scale and please put up a screenshot image (upload a pic) so I can confirm if I am seeing a different screen as my memory s very bad and I cannot remember if I have seen my satnav zoomed in closer."

Many Thanks in advance

9. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    I guess the interface is the same as in Accord 2006 Sat Nav?

So when you're in map and try to zoom in, what's the highest setting you can get to. Is it 1/2 mile (per cm on screen)?

Something I found on YouTube
    Honda satnav zoom - YouTube

10. Mase Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey BJMaru

I get a 1/8 or 1/20 at the max zoom in level.

As in my original post I wrote

"I tried zooming in and it tells me that it is 1/8mile zoomed in but it is by far from that. I can not see a road name, I just see thin grey lines outlining roads. Navigation is a real problem now as I can miss smaller roads that go by."

11. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Sorry we might be working in different units as I do not get such numbers (nor can I see them in the video). When I zoom in and I hit 1/2 mile, it then goes to 500 yards,200, 100 and 50 yards.

1/20 of a mile is 88 yards so I am confused as to why yours is giving different values. May be setting somewhere.

When you zoom in, does the scale dial move all the way up but the map zoom stays the same at some point?

If I encountered this I'd probably try resetting it somehow. Take the DVD out and back in? Or do a force download? (not sure if this is something that can be done without consequences so maybe don't try that for the time being :Smile: )
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/109/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  12. Mase Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes I believe we are. I am using a system in an FR-V from 2006 on a SatNav DVD v2.11 I believe. Not with the car at the moment. Was really hoping that someone else with an FR-V could take a pic and zoom in maximum and upload here for me to compare as I have not been able to see someone with an FR-V and built in StaNav to confirm what I see in my car.

The dial does move and the map does zoom in and out but it seems like what I expect to be a 1/8 is not but I could be wrong.

I thought it would also show the map like a TOMTOM (viewed at an angle) but it seems I was wrong here too. It looks like I can only get birds eye view. Might need to pop in and see my dealer.

13. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Definitely can't do angled view. It's only top view.

I can zoom in max on mine on a chosen location and post a pic if that helps. I guess that's as much as I can do not having an FR-V but they should be the same from what I've seen in this video.

Where should I zoom in? :Smile:

- - - Updated - - -

1/20 of KM (if that's what you're using) equals to ca. 50 yads, so I guess that's your max zoom. I will change units as well when I zoom in so we can compare it exactly.

14. Mase Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you can zoom in as close to 1/8 and 1/20 as I know you do not see the same measurements as me that would be great as I can then view the screen output to see if it is the same as mine.

Hopefully that will allay any fear that I have that the SatNav is not working properly

Many Thanks BijoMaru

15. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok here's one of my previous destinations for reference.

IMG_3650.

50y (max zoom)
    IMG_3651.

100y
    IMG_3652.JPG

200y
    IMG_3653.

500y
    IMG_3654.JPG

I was meant to do them in meters but only took one that way ...
    This is Bristol Airport at max zoom in KM units (50m zoom)
    IMG_3645.

16. Mase Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Rob

I think my SatNav works in miles so 1/20th of a mile = 88yds. Looking at your 100yd pic (being the closest) to 88yds I can see your screen looks pretty much the same as mine.

I think this problem may be me suffering from amnesia and not remembering what the satnav screen looked like when I first bought the car as I rarely use the SatNav much. So switching it on recently has left me confused as to whether the kids have been fiddling the settings.

I was expecting street names to be seen for each of the thin grey lines (roads) which is why I query, but if yours is showing pretty much the same as mine then I think I may be wasting precious time looking into something expecting it to be what it is not.

I appreciate your help immensely to no end. Thank you

Saf

17. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Hey I'm glad I could help. :Hey:

It shows road names on the map but only main roads.

Of course when you're driving with destination set it will tell you where you are right now.

18. Boglost Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Mase

If you are used to a TomTom sat-nav the Honda navigation system may cause you much teeth gnashing.

As you have found out roads are presented as spidery lines with precious little visual aid to inform you what type of road you are on.

Also no 3D view.

Using the map to find a specific destination is pretty hopeless.

Travelling through South Cave in East Yorkshire the sat nav told me correctly I was on West End but that I was in Brough some 3.5 miles to the SSE, similarly while passing through a village near the east coast it informed me I was in Hull which was some 7 miles inland just to the outskirts.

In the Honda's favour, the voice instructions have spot on timing especially when exiting giant roundabouts.

However when I compare the £17 Sygic sat-nav graphics and operation on an android phone against the £170 for new Honda/Navtech DVD mapping discs..............

To be honest I'm appalled that Honda could produce or utilize such tacky mapping.

Whinge over - Happy & safe driving.

19. Mase Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks BogLost

I also expected much more, in terms of 3D viewing angle and also an actual road (as you see on TomTom) as opposed to a thin grey line, but saying that, whenever I have used the SatNav in the FR-V. It has worked spot on so apart from a few niggles, it is not a major concern at the moment.

I have the Tom Tom so will use that when needed otherwise I'll plod on as I was.

Many Thanks for the replies