Off-Topic Saved by the (non working) Dashcam ...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SpeedyGee, Friday 18th Dec, 2015.

1. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Driving late last night along a busy side road that runs parallel to a main road, the side road joins the main road at an angle.

As I approach this junctions there's already a small Citroen car at the Tee junction waiting to move on to the main road.

I pull up behind it and stop with a good metre or more distance, the main road isn't busy at all but the driver in front doesn't move onto main road.
    So just as I'm wondering if he has broken down or something, the driver very slowly gets out his car. I can see that he's a very elderly chap. He gets out very gingerly, puts one hand on his hip and awkwardly starts walking towards my drivers window.

I'm still thinking this poor old man, whose possibly in his late 60's, perhaps early 70's has broken down, so I wind the window down. Just as walks past the back of his car, he stops and has a good look at his bumper.

So I think OK, maybe his exhaust has fallen off, so I greet him :-

Speedy: "You Ok Sir ?!"
    Elderly Driver: "You've just hit me !! Why did you hit me ?"
    Speedy: <Totally shocked, thinking I'd misheard him > "Sorry ? Say again !"
    Elderly Driver: "You've just hit the back of my car !"
    Speedy: "I say no I haven't I'm a good metre or two behind you."
    Elderly Driver: "That's because my car has been shunted forward it was quite a whack !"
    Speedy: "Are you on drugs or something ! You were already stopped at the junction, I pulled up slowly behind you and leave this massive gap."
    Elderly Driver: "Look young man you made a mistake and went into the back of, don't try and deny it. I think those people over there in the bus stop must have seen it!"
    He actually starts walking towards the bus stop that is on the main road and the two people there start to move towards him. Just then I remember I have dashcam installed in the Accord.
    Speedy: "Hold on a second, you want some evidence, let me show you some evidence ! I have a camera installed in my car, this has recorded everything that has happened so far and is recording everything that you are saying. There's no way that I hit your car or even came remotely close to hitting it!".

Elderly Driver: "Well I'm sure I thought I felt something !"

Speedy: "No you didn't ! You're simply trying to pull a scam on me. If you don't get back in your car and get the hell out of here I'm calling the police !"
    Elderly Driver: "I'm not scamming you honest it was a genuine mistake !"

He says this, quickly turns and hurries back into his car(no more limping) , starts it up and goes right, despite having been stopped on the left side of the junction originally.
    I look across in that direction and then realise that people at the bus stop have also disappeared somewhere (no bus had come in that time).
    Quite dazed at what just happened I sit there for short while longer before heading off home.

I get home, whip the SD card out of the camera, hoping to go over the recording only to find that the camera had stopped recording over a month ago.
    Initially I was quite angry and disappointed at not having the footage then it dawned on me that just having the camera there had just saved me from having been conned into being blamed for rear end shunt that never actually happened !

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd of took his reg and reported him to the police mate!

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Holy crap man, worst thing is I bet they were going to try and "settle outside of insurance" and basically just scam cash out of you. Didn't even think that kind of scamming was still about.

Geez... makes me want to put up a dashcam for the sake of it. Then thinking about it, I'd have probably told the guy to "f*ck himself" and driven off anyway :Laughing: Wonder how far they would have taken it?

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    what the hell.. .glad to hear that you got him to go away but that sounds really pathetic specially him being an elderly person. I think hearing stories like these only cement the need to have dashcams on all the time.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I know I should have of done but in the heat of the moment, this slipped my mind, also I didn't count for the fact that dashcam might not be recording.
    The reason I whipped it out as soon as I got home was to check the reg but the last recorded file was more than a month old :Aghast:

I'm not sure how far they would have gone either. I'm thinking they would have tried to claim via insurance with the old chap claiming he had independant witnesses at the bus stop.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I think that was all part of pressuring you to hand over cash instead of claiming, pretty sure that was the next step in the scam.

7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You probably need to format the sd card our ones in our trucks are terrible the sd cards pack in every couple of months but they are on and off all day long I suppose.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

But that wouldn't have worked as I didn't hit him at all ! I would just refuse to pay saying I know I didn't hit them, so they would need to persuade some third party that I was lying and get that third party to make me pay up somehow .. that third party would logically be insurance as they normal default rear end shunts to being the fault of the shunting driver right.

You're right I should really periodically take the card out and do this.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Just because they're old, doesn't make them honest. That was a lucky escape with some quick thinking. I could even say, 'Speedy thinking'

Joking aside, I'm glad you weren't caught out by that. It's a good reason why we all should get a dash cam fitted.

10. Crv23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm shocked and I was putting off getting another dash cam but probably get one in the sales now.

I have a 806 mini which is fantastic but might go for a simple next base version for half the price.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

But the pressure was the "independent" people actually being in on it, and making it clear they were all going to bullshit so the insurance believed them over you.

Logically, there's not a mark on your car - you tell insurance there's a scam, they inspect the other car, realise there's no traces of your paint in the damaged area on the other car (and potentially someone elses) and the whole thing falls through. Cash is the only way it really works, without them potentially getting fucked for fraud and risking things by it going on record.

Just my two pence anyway, I'm just glad it didn't work out for them!

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

With the above point in mind, yes I guess you are right.

13. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    crikey this is really disturbing (no joke).

It's a shame that the dash-cam wasn't recording, because if it was, and if it had picked up all the sound as well, you could have reported this to the police ...although from CJ's "milkfloat" thread I doubt if Plod would have bothered. At the very least it certainly would have been good to watch on youtube.

I can't see how they thought this was going to work though, unless a very gullible and timid person had been the person that came upon them.

The good news is that IMO you don't need a dash-cam to avoid something like this. The procedure is to get out and take pictures of ... 1. where the cars are ... 2. the rear bumper of his car ... 3. the front bumper of your car

Then call the police, and do not move your car until they arrive (which could be several hours with government cut backs).

btw I just thought, in the days before mobile phones had cameras, and especially when there were no mobile phones, this would have stood more chance of succeeding.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm wondering if the old man was actually meant to back into really hard and in his old age he actually forgot to do that step ! :Rolf:

15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    ouch, if so then a dash-cam is a must have
    ... and make sure it works all the time :eek:

16. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    that is insane mate.. Soo glad you had the camera,, even if it wasn't working.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I really need a dashcam...

18. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Good thinking Speedy I'm glad I'm getting a dash cam for Christmas.
    As Leo said though you didn't have any damage on your car.
    But in these situations it can be very worrying as the witness on the bus stop might have got violent.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I bet this older timer was low on cash for his cruise in the Mediterranean Sea, he will be on the prowl that's a given. Seriously after this put camera in every corner of your car.

Zoot likes this.
  20. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    The reverse into you is quite common (or it certainly used to be) so glad I have a dashcam on all the time.

Mine recently started to switch off with no warning. Contacted the seller and he advised to format the SD card. Did so and so far no problems. Must now remember to format the SD card every couple of months!