Announcement Scheduled Downtime for Maintenance: Midnight, Tuesday

Discussion in 'Club Announcements & News' started by DeviateDefiant, Monday 6th Oct, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Some advanced warnings that the site will be going into "read only" mode from midnight tomorrow until early morning while we transfer between servers. As the site has grown and evolved, we're finding our current server set-up a bottleneck and need to migrate to a new platform to give us better control over allocating extra server resources without the needing to go offline for long periods in order to do so.

In effect, we can do future maintenance quicker, with our Parts Store around the corner it's needed. Astute observers may have noticed the site a little more sluggish lately.

Impact to members should be minimal, the current site/server will be put into a "read only" mode with new posts/guides/garage entries suspended, we'll then transfer the site, and point our domain at the new server's IP address. Members will start receiving the new server location for "hondakarma.com" within an hour or two, but some devices may still "cache" the old server location for up to 48 hours - we've configured everything so that the domain is "refreshed" quickly, but some devices do choose to ignore these settings; I'm looking at you Apple.

We're also permanently leaving behind our Amsterdam datacenter and heading to London, that should marginally reduce page load speed for UK members, and marginally increase it for our European users - but we're talking milliseconds of difference.

Although as always we've tested our migration path thoroughly, if there's any issues with getting back on the site just drop an eMail to pr@hondakarma.com and I or @Ichiban can get you sorted. Hopefully the real move goes as smoothly as our tests.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can't get over how quickly we have used our current package to the max in such a short period. The new package will fix our storage concerns in one sweep.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It's all down to our decision to allow big massive images and store them all locally on site so they can't go dead, then add-in the responsive upgrades so people get images at the size their device can display instead of blurred, or massive downloads which are then scaled - storing/caching takes a bit of room.

I like not limiting anyone and giving them the easiest experience, we'll deal with the server side of things and let the site grow however it can :Drinks:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Of course we are not going to compromise the experience of HK its just not us.:Hooray:

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bumpy guys early warning.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Reminder bump.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get some kip for tonight mate.. I will be up thou.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I will in a couple of hours mate, best nip out and get tonight's munch in too.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    10 minutes to go for the planned shutdown guys.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Heads up the board will be completely turned off for the first 30-60 minutes or so of downtime.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

We're all up and online again in under an hour, smooth as our test migrations.

The old server is in read only mode with a notice displayed explaining the old server details still being cached.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is a record for a lift and shift!