Engine & Gearbox Scoring Noise

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Friday 14th Nov, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Bit of a strange one here, perhaps?

I noticed recently that my CR-V was making a strange but very obvious scoring noise (like a bearing that's going bad) when changing gear just below the 2,000rpm mark and was coming from the engine bay. When stationary and the car is warmed up you could blip the throttle to about 2,500rpm and as it fell below 1,500rpm you could faintly hear the same noise but no where near as pronounced.

Booked the car in under warranty and they came back saying it was the pulley from the A/C unit that was causing it. Had it replaced today under warranty but also asked for the serpentine belt to be replaced at my expense as they had to remove it anyway.

The A/C clicks in with more urgency now and so far I can't hear the noise when blipping the throttle whilst stationary. However, I can still hear the noise when driving and changing gear at around the 2,000rpm point although it's nowhere near as loud.

Is it just a trait of this car or could there be something else causing this? I've not given it a good test drive yet so will keep my ears open, perhaps the new pulley needs to bed in? (never heard of this though)

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm pleased that they changed the pulley without a fuss. Be interesting if anyone can shine some light on the continuing cause.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The A/C pulley has a clutch built into to it. This is what engages and disengages the A/C pump. This can go and start beckoning noisey.

if you think there is still a noise but less intense noise present then this may suggest that one of the other pulleys is also noisey. It would also worth checking if the tensioner is functioning correctly.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, I'll investigate further. Access is a pain, Will have to remove a few things. It only happens if giving it the message and changing at 2000rpm but not at other revs so hopefully not urgent.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The noise is still there just as before and also occasionally if accelerating hard and changing at around the 3500rpm it happens but is very loud. When in the cabin it sounds like its coming more from the near side of the engine bay which is worrying as I'm wondering if it's gearbox related or maybe the turbo?

Anyway, booked in again and hopefully they'll find and sort it and be covered under warranty. Did a bit of offroading at the weekend and was very capable so happy!

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It's been back in with Honda today and they couldn't hear the noise so I had to go back at lunch time and demonstrate. He's now heard it and he thinks it could be the DMF or clutch but it's still with them for further investigation.

I've got a horrible feeling that the DMF or clutch won't be covered though but need to find the terms & conditions of the Honda warranty to see what's covered (why is this so hard to find?).

Forgot to expand on this, but the technician asked me to rev it and let it drop to hear the noise and he could, then he asked me to do it with the clutch pedal depressed - but the noise was exactly the same both ways. I don't know enough about the clutch and flywheel but I would have thought there would be a difference in the noise or it would disappear one way or another if the DMF or Clutch was the issue?

Last edited: Thursday 20th Nov, 2014
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They will want to strip it down to have a look , and if the friction plate and pressure plate are found to have wear then its within warranty claim but if its worn down to rivets and the pressure pate has heat marks that is wear and abuse.

Either way you will pay for the stripping down of the car.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    They are stripping it down but never said it was chargeable. I think I'll give them a call as i don't know how the previous driver treated it.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well they can do GOGW if the clutch is worn the warranty company will pick up the tab for the labour.. if you play your cards right :Wink:

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just confirmed that there's no charge for investigation. They said they are stripping the gearbox etc. I'd be happy to pay for the clutch and labour seeing as half of it would already be done if they pick up the tab for the DMF. My thinking is that if it's already stripped down i may as well get it done if there is in fact a problem.

Time will tell i guess and in the meantimein enjoying this rather quiet Jazz lol

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff you have a co-operative Honda dealer , its a first for Scotland as the Honda franchise up there are notorious for being crap .

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I have been surprised by how good they've been, but I'm not counting my chickens just yet! lol I checked my warranty documentation and it's with Honda UK and not a third party but it does clearly state that parts that have reached their end of life are not covered. But I can't find out how long a DMF should last and although they are known for their problems and just because they are failing at low mileage with some people doesn't mean it justifies a short lifespan. I appreciate they aren't as strong as a solid flywheel but considering the work involved and the cost of replacing then I would expect at least 100K out of one. Obviously the clutch is a different story and wearing at 75K is more acceptable to me.

Not too happy to see the DMF for my car in this list: Frequently Asked Questions | Honest John but it was something I was already aware of and took my chances. I can't see any single mass conversion kits out there or even a heavy duty one. No point putting a third party one in there as they don't seem all that much cheaper to warrant the risk. I don't know how good LUK are but if Honda get the job then it will be OEM.

It may not necessarily be the DMF though as there's no noise when you depress the clutch pedal but can't rule it out either.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just seen that LUK make the DMF for Honda so why is it so much more expensive with Honda?

HONDA DMF: £648.67
    LUK DMF: £402.00

HONDA CLUTCH KIT: £253.27
    LUK CLUTCH KIT: £124.80

Total Honda: £901.94
    Total LUK: £526.80

Saving: £375.14
    - - - Updated - - -
    Clutch Kits : Cox Motor Parts Direct - Genuine Honda Brakes Clutches & Accessories

Can get all OEM from here for £536.38 (which is also LUK for the DMF).

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You seen the deal HH are doing for kits those are retail prices

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You'll find this is the case with all OE manufacturers, they have their OEM A-Line which costs whatever it costs from Honda, then they have their B-Line which they sell direct at a discount - the genuine article is built to Honda's stringent specs, the cheaper version is manufacturer making their own version to undercut Honda.

Denso alternators, Exedy clutches, they're all the same. Are they as good as OEM? Depends on the manufacturer. Some are almost like for like for the genuine part, some cut corners a fair bit.

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not seen the HH deals, what are they looking for?

So is the LUK DMF on the Honda Dealer website is not an OEM one?

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ring them as for that dealer pass they could have struck a bulk deal via motor factor sources for more margins then pass them as OEM. The old trick in the book now that the car out of production they can do what they want without the pressure from honda to say otherwise.