General Scotchlocks, heatshrinks etc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chunkylover53, Friday 11th Jul, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is a really nooby question but I need to get this clear in my head.

Mum wants parking sensors for her Civic (DIY opportunity). I've taken the bumper off etc so only the wiring left. The way I see things - I have to crimp the black wire to the circular terminal and put it on the ground bolt. For the red wire I have to connect it to the reversing wire (green). To do that I have three ideas:

- Soldering (least preferred)
    - Scotchlock (do I cut the green wire in the middle and thread both ends either side into the scotchlock connector along with the red wire on one side?)
    - Heatshrink (can I cut the green wire, strip both ends, twist the red cable into the end coming from the engine and heatshrink it with the other end going to the reversing light?)

I've basically asked two questions, anyway thanks for reading, I know its a really stupid question but I want to make sure I have got it right in my head.

2. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Chunkylover53 likes this.
  3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That looks good, instead of twisting I can crimp instead and then use a flame to shrink it?

I assume this is the same thing? (dead-link removed)

4. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Yep that's the ones, just a bit of heat from the centre out and jobs a good un.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Those butt connects are what I tend to use as well, one of the few things my heat gun ever gets used for :Laughing: Make sure you get ones for the right cable thickness.

For stuff that may need disconnecting again in the future, I tend to use this style.

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks guys used a scotchlok in the end after the guy explained that the main wire didn't have to be cut. Civic parking sensors diy up in the next few days..

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I always solder and then put heat shrink on top.

Wouldn't touch scotch lock connectors with a barge pole