General Scotland trip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nighthawk, Saturday 18th Oct, 2014.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    So, missus wants to go to Glasgow for one of her friends wedding anniversaries next weekend, so I get all excited. A nice long drive for the Accord, a chance to clean her out a bit as such etc until some more friends ask if we can give them a lift. 4 adults, 2 kids in an Accord isnt going to work very well. Absolutely gutted, looking forward to a nice road trip in my car.

Missus decides to look at the cost of splitting the cost of a rented 7 seater, says she has found one and asks me to put a deposit down on a Vauxhall. Almost shot myself - not a hope will I actually invest money into anything as appalling as a Vauxhall. (@Ichiban). Horrid, just horrid things. If it wasnt for the fact that I would lose money, I would no doubt end up blowing the gearbox on that too or driving it into a wall, or perhaps, hopefully, even both.

Need to get hold of an FR-V, 6 seats is enough, but can't find them for rental at all.

Not driving to Scotland in a Vauxhall, it just quite simply isnt ever going to happen. Other option is an S-Max if I stick to 7 seats.

On a side note, @ArcticFire, are you near to Glasgow? Where is a good place to keep the kids occupied for a weekend? Personally, whilst the missus is with her friends, I want to go look at some castles (always fascinated me)

Ichiban likes this.
  2. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    You could take them for a drive to Culzean Castle down Ayrshire way, there's also a farm Park called Heads of Ayr Farm Park :: HOME

Or you've got Stirling Castle too or Edinburgh.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Have you looked at some of the SUVs which can take seven? They may be more readily available for rental.

How old are the kids and do you know roughly where in Glasgow you are coming to?

4. Nighthawk Guest

Place called Stepp which from google maps seems just north east of Glasgow. Eldest kid in 9, youngest is 5 so need to keep them occupied. Found a few other options to drive, a Cadillac Escalade - that would be interesting. Looks like the S Max is the main option now though, not as bad as a GM so I could probably handle the embarassment of driving an S Max to Scotland and back

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    They are supposed to be good cars to drive, I actually don't mind the look of them either.

You could take the A80/M80 (depending on where in Stepps you are) then the M8 and then the Clydeside Expressway to the Transport Museum which is excellent and kids seem to love it. Only a fifteen minute drive. Right next door is the Tall Ship where you can explore pretty much everywhere and also grab a bite to eat. Then there's the Science Centre not far away or a quick 5 minute drive to the Braehead Centre where there's soft play with racing cars, large indoor sledging or skiing with real snow and also places to eat like TGI Fridays etc for the kids.

That would sort out a day for the kids lol
    - - - Updated - - -
    What about the VOLVO XC90 which europacar do? Might be a bit pricey though and not sure if it's proper rear seats or those stupid wee things.

Wouldn't touch a Chrysler that came up as I'm sure they had terrible crash test results.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

Cheers mate, gives us plenty of things to look into, in fact, the missus was looking at the Tall Ship earlier on so its good that you have mentioned it as well. The volvo is an option, just hope they have sorted out the seats in comparison to that S60 I drove a few months ago. Back killed me after a few hours, let alone 5.

Europcar I find a bit expensive, want close to 300 quid for a weekend away, and have limited mileage of 900, which won't help much. Its looking like either an S Max then, which has 7 proper useable seats, or a Citroen Picasso which is also 7 seats. Youngest is still in a booster so there is a bit of flexibility in the extra seats being not proper as he has cushioning in his booster anyway. In fact, if I go into the next class, Full Size MPV as they call it, it completely removes a GM option, so for an extra 20 quid, thats what I will do.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Looks like the S Class would be the best option.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Opps, S Max i mean. S Class wouldn't be good for the wallet hehe

8. Nighthawk Guest

S Class would not last as long as GM would in my hands. It would find the nearest ditch, preferably canyon, and implant itself permanately down there. This of course would be after numerous mating sessions with the car which dared to be thinking of going slower than me. I think I would have to take a BMW or two out with me along the way.

Its safer for the motorists of the M80 and M1 if I just stay away from any German marque as grevious bodily harm will come to the rental car if I drive one.

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

From carstereotypes "
    When you see a gangster ride like this you either want to duck and take cover in fear of a drive by shooting, get your camera phone ready because Ludacris might be inside, or look in the window because there might be a hot MILF driving."

Custom-Cadillac-Escalade-300x135.

I know its GM but there must be a little part of you that wants to drive this beast.

10. Nighthawk Guest

You are right, there is a part of me that really wants to drive that car - straight off a cliff!!

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Honda do have your back mate, take your pick: Stepwgn, Odyssey, Mobilio, Stream, Elysion. I'm sure importing from Japan is on the table right? :Whistle:

The only one you'll find in the UK (in recent years) is the Stream, though they're pretty darn rare.

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

Anyway, so got confirmation that our friends can't join us for the trip up north. Bit sad they can't come with :Frown:, but it means I don't have to look at any rentals and can just take my car up instead :Happy:

Trip sorted:sparta:

She is due her pre winter service anyway so may get that completed this week. Might try some Mobil 1 instead of my usual Castrol Edge.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My castrol oil is now black after 4000 miles and I'm keen to do the simple viscosity test but need a cold engine. Not worried about the colour so much though as it's not necessarily an indication that its broken down. I'll be putting Mobil in next time to see how that goes.

14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wouldn't drive to the local shops in a Vauxhall mate, aside from the high likelihood of your journey involving walking due to Vauxhall reliability :Rolf:, driving a Vauxhall is a horrible experience.

What about renting a 7 seat CR-V? Oh hang on a second, that's yet another market opportunity Honda have missed! :telloff:

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Unless of course Honda don't want to encourage people to put their children in a crush zone? Lol

I loved those Volvos where the children would get front row seats of the juggernaught slamming into the back of their car!

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

...and my Mobil is still amber after 5,500 miles :Whistle: Then again, we are comparing a petrol and a diesel.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I guess all the crap is still stuck to your engine rather than being trapped in the oil :Wink:

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Or maybe my engine doesn't produce crap :Tongue:

19. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That is a valid point.

9th Generation Accord tourer made the same size of 7th Generation could have the third row of seats and the occupants of those seats would be far less at risk (or definitely no more at risk) than in a Civic, Jazz or CR-V as they are still further away from the tailgate.

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Sorry was just a bit tongue in cheek! Lol From what i could see from the breakdown of the 4th Generation CR-V i don't think the boot is a crush zone. I've got a thread about rear seats which shows the diagram.