Tyres & Wheels Screeching / scraping noise coming from the rear driver wheel

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008)' started by Mr CL7, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Mr CL7

Mr CL7 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Name:
    Faz
    Kent
    Guides:
    Hondas:
    Was driving to work this morning and i can hear a screeching / scraping noise coming from the rear driver wheel. Had a look with the torch but I can't see what is causing it? Was ok yesterday. I'm guessing maybe some grit or something is the cause. Any other idea's what it could be? My wheels aren't touching the arches or the inner suspension either.

Cheers

Faz
  2. Ichiban

Ichiban Co-Founder Administrator

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    Hondas:
    It could be sticky rear brakes pads , if the disc have have gone rusty the ferrous coating begins to come off as the car moves and starts to fill those gaps around the pads and the disc .Get down a dual carriageway make sure nothing behind ya and give some hard breaking and see if that clears it.

It could be your alloys or spigot rings are not centred if you still used them?

if that doesn't fix it then cant say without looking at the car. If you can jack the car up and have a look .. with the windy conditions we have at the moment easier said than done.
  3. Mr CL7

Name:
    Faz
    Kent
    Guides:
    Hondas:
    Right had a chat with a few guys at work and they said it could be my wheel bearing. So I googled it and all I could see was get it looked at ASAP as it can be dangerous! So I went to the garage round the corner and explained the issue. He jacked up the rear of the car and spun the wheel to check for any foul play. He couldn't hear nothing. So then he said I'll take it for a run and see if I notice anything. Five mins later he came back and said he could hear a slight 'whirring' sound from the rear driver wheel. He advised me that if it was the bearing it would be knocking constantly driving straight, fast, slow turning left or right. This is not what I experienced this morning. So.. I asked him what his conclusion was and he said another customer came in the other day complaining of a similar issue and that his tyre was to blame?! He asked me how long I've had these Tyres I said there 3 months old with plenty of tread. He then said it could be the tyre compound making road noise. I'm half hearted in his opinion though. So off I went and drove home and the noise has gone?! Hmm. Maybe some grit or something got lodged there and has now gone. Weird!
  4. beefy

beefy Certified Honda Technician ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Name:
    Adam
    Stoke-on-Trent
    screeching/scraping suggests brakes to me buddy. its not uncommon for rear wheel bearings to go but you will hear a low humm not a knocking noise, but yes it can be difficult to disinguish between tyre noise sometimes. i would hazzard a guess that either your front or rear inner pads are low and near the wear indicator for it to be intermittant or it could be sticking brakes/condtion of discs etc. i would have the wheels taken off and all brakes inspected propperly.
  5. Mr CL7

Name:
    Faz
    Kent
    Guides:
    Hondas:
    Beefy I forgot to mention that all my OEM discs and pads were changed last month and I did inspect them without taking the wheels off. May be worth taking them off at the weekend for a better look
  6. beefy

beefy Certified Honda Technician ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Name:
    Adam
    Stoke-on-Trent
    how tight is your handbrake?....are the brakes binding? could well have been grit or a stone.....if the noise returns then you need to take a more seious look
  7. lpg

lpg New Member

There is a metal plate behind the break disc I once got a stone lodged between it and the disc that made a similar noise to the one your describing ; I was also worried as I had just had the discs and breaks done a month before.
    You can look through the alloy and see if its been bent or any debris is there(it will be dirty so either wear gloves or do it when your at home)
  8. Ichiban

Ichiban Co-Founder Administrator

Name:
    CJ
    Leeds, UK
    Guides:
    Hondas:
    Faz you got anywhere with this issue or has it magically disappeared?