Electrical & Lights Screen washers

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by AccordMavman, Saturday 7th Nov, 2015.

1. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Cheshire
    Hi all

My screen washer jets seem to have a partial blockage that likes to move around... :no:It's usually the drivers side that intermittently only pushes out around half what it should, but sometimes it's fine and the same thing happens on the nearside. Have blown out both nozzles with an air line but made no difference. Headlight washers both working fine consistently. Seems I will have to flush the pipes from the bottle to the jets. Would be grateful for any tips on how to do this - have had a look for guides but not found anything yet, but that could be me not looking properly.. :help:

Thanks all

2. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There could be gunk in the line that is slowly being washed through. Disconnecting from the bottle and flushing through with a pressure hose might help, I've done something similar in the past.

I bought a kit to relocate the washer jets onto the wiper arms themselves as both of mine were blocked or damaged... Worked out cheaper than buying 2 new jets too.

Now I just have to figure out where the blockage is for the rear jet... motor runs but nothing comes out... suppose I'll have to start pulling trim and testing pipework at different sections.

3. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Makes sense, thanks for the tips.
    I take it the under tray needs to be removed to get access to the washer bottle, or is it accessible by removing the offside front wheel arch liner?

4. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

that's what I did, think I got my replacements from a dealer on ebay. Seems to be a common thing on these cars. Did mine a while back but I think they might be some blockage in them again as the only hit the bottom part of the window now, after I replaced them the jets were much stringer and wider.

6. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

One of mine would only hit the wiper arm, and the other just dribbled out. When I tried to adjust them I found one completely mangled and the other would only sit so it hit the wiper or the top of the screen. No amount of light adjusting would make it hit the screen correctly.

So I ordered a kit that relocates the jets onto the wiper arms them selves, each yet has 4 nozzles on it and sprays fluid across the entire screen as the wipers move both in front and behind the wiper arm. So it cleans very effectively now.... and the plus side is that the entire kit cost less than 2 replacement jets. Took about 10-15 mins to fit.

7. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers for that. Have had a quick look at them tonight, and they're located on the scuttle/cowl moulding right near the wiper arms, not on the bonnet. Do you know if the same applies when removing them from here?

8. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey tony, were yours the same as mavmans?

9. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds like a great idea - thanks for that. Where did you find the kit from?

10. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I used something like this...

you simply remove the existing washer jet, insert the grommet into it's hole, connect the two pipes together using one of the fittings, route the hose up through the wiper arm itself, attach the washer jet and a few cable ties along the tubing and it's done. The first one I did on the drivers side I can see the hosing a little... I'd already fitted it all before I noticed I forgotten to route it behind the wiper arm. So it comes up the top side instead of the underside... I'd run out of cable ties by this point so haven't yet fixed it.

The nozzles themselves are simply adjusted using a pin/needle. The jets clip on just below the centre point of the wiper arm, so you can get really good coverage. Just make don'tadjust the outer/top nozzels to far or when the wipers are fully extended the spray may actually miss the edge of the screen on the drivers side... but fun for making people jump a little. :Smile:

Tempted to get one for the rear washer/wiper as I've yet to trace the source of the blockage to that one... I think pulling all of the trim of at the rear is the only way to go at the moment... Got some spare hose and connectors left if I need to use it... But rear jets aren't cheap.

11. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

This kit looks good, do you have any pictures of your install? Just to see what it looks like when on the car?
    Do the pipes foul anything?

Cheers
    Tony

12. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'll try to remember to get some over the weekend and post them up.

13. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all the info, all sounds fairly straightforward so I'll give it a go.
    I wish I had a rear one too, but of course as it's the 4 door I don't...