Tools Sealey TP6903 Oil Extractor (compressed air operated)

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by SpeedyGee, Monday 10th Mar, 2014.

1. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    A few people have discussed doing it before but it involved sucking the oil out through the dipstick which proved problematic as it narrows at the base. But no one has tried using a dedicated oil extraction device like that.

I don't understand the benefit of using one. Surely it just as easy to undo the sump plug, plus any bits in the sump will be drained out as well. Using extraction will likely leave any bits in the sump.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes it has been discussed before, specifically in this thread, however that was a manual pump. This one is powered by compressed air, so I was thinking it should do a much more thorough job with the consistent suction that it should provide over the manual pump.

You raise a good point about the fact the Honda engine seem to have a rather narrow, however, this one comes with both 6mm and 10mm suction pipes. I would have thought that 6mm should be narrow enough. @Beefy and @ACC-CDI-2T any chance you could post your thoughts on this. I think you previously commented that one of your fellow techs uses one of these.

@Doc , the reason I'm interested in it is I do regular 6K mile oil changes on my cars and on just my own car with me doing circa 24K miles a year I'm changing the oil every three months, just on my own car. Add to that other cars in the family that I service too, if this thing can do a good job of suction almost all the oil out that that's a result I'd say.

I think it was @ACC-CDI-2T that said he has checked and found no oil was actually left in the sump of his I-CDTI Accord. With me changing so regularly it wouldn't matter so much if a small amount did stay in the sump.

As well as sucking out oil from an engine, this Sealey one can also be used to suck out brake fluid, the idea seems sound, connect up to a bleed nipple, start sucking and add new fluid into reservoir at the same, once you see clean fluid coming out that corner is done. I've also got a lawn mower, so maybe able to use it on that too.

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    you are correct we have a manual oil sucker but it is mainly used if too much oil is put in a car and a small ammount needs sucking out rather than undo the sump plug again. i am of the opinion the only propper way to change oil is to remove the sump plug. your under the car anyway if your carrying out a service. these suckers however are a good idea and do suck the majority of the oil out of the sump, but me personaly if I've got a sump plug ide rather remove it.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I had the same discussion with Speedy offline today and they are ideal for stuff with no drain plugs.. you can get smart plugs now which does away with the nut and washer and they are really robust like this one.

EZ-Drain.

people who do frequently oil changes this is ideal for bikes and cars have a look at http://www.ezoildrain.com/ you have an internal thread pitch and you can attach the above oil extractor if you are obsessed with create more vacuum.

I have ordered one of these for my bike.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've gone ahead and ordered vacuum pump as I like the idea of using it for things like brake fluid changes.

I will test its ability to do oil changes and report back but I agree with everyone else that it surely can't remove all of the oil from the sump.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I do a flush using 0w-30 between 6k mile oil changes in winter that get all the remaining dirty oil. I use lubetech oil just for that ..:Bye:

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ahh so Im not the only that does "interim" oil changes in between the usual 6K ones :Friends:

Ichiban likes this.
  9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm interested to see how things pans out :Thumbup:

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Well I'm gunna suck it and see it :Smile:

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    It'll be interesting to see just how much oil it can suck out of the sump. It may be worth the first time sucking out the oil then removing the sump plug after to see just how much is remaining. It certainly sounds like a good idea for changing brake fluid as well.

12. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a pela pump as i used to do 6k oil changes. Havent done one on my 8th Generation yet but in about 2k miles.

Given hassle of usual drain, the pela pump is a godsend. Well worth. £60

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Damn thing is huge ! Where am I going to store that LOL

2014-03-12 22.20.52. 2014-03-12 22.20.32.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Right peeps, changed the engine oil on my Accord using this vacuum pump and I must say I'm quite impressed.

Roobix Oil pump change.

It managed to suck out about 4 litres of oil in no time at all and to my surprise there was practically nothing left in the sump.

I jacked up the car on offside, removed the drain plug and nothing came out, so I dropped the car flat on the ground and still nothing came out.

It wasn't until I raised the car again that a small trickle of oil started coming out of the drain hole.

It only dripped slowly for a very short time and was a rather insignificant amount.

So, so far I'm quite impressed with my new toy :Smile: