Introductions searching for ideal honda

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by greg01, Tuesday 21st Aug, 2012.

1. greg01 New Member Getting Started

hi,

I have been looking to buy a second hand car to replace my ford focus 1.6lx petrol.(it was a bargain! but although my partner drives it most of the time i hate it i am 6ft 2 and 17st and have now got young child)I had a short list of Honda Accord tourer 2.0 petrol(only do 8000 miles per year plus having read threads on most diesels, what ever make they are,they are more expensive to buy and maintain and not as reliable)toyota avensis 2.0,and mazda 6.2.0.I ultimately after alot of research kept coming back to the honda (don't mean to offend any one but prefer the looks, handling of mazda and spec ,looks of toyota.)However my budget is tight and i need a car that is reliable,a pleasure to be in,not the norm and well equipped,hence the honda.I am looking for ideally a 2.0 petrol with roof rails 17" alloys and parking sensor(tow bar an added bonus but i think i would rather add one myself,added wear etc.).Mileage not too concerned as long as f/s/h.Budget £2500.Am i dreaming or is there one out there,recently looked at 2.0 ex(2004,122k) with all of above but when i got there parking sensor did not work,tailgate opened about 6",A/C not cold and alloys in tatters.Any comments advice welcome good or bad.Or if any one out there knows of some one selling such a car please let me know.I would like to be a fully fledged member.Many thanks.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Looking a for a car is a real PITA. I think the key trait is patience, hang on in there buddy, something which ticks all your boxes for you will come along soon.

As for Mazda 6's I've had two of those, one was a 2.0l and the other was a 2.3l. I'm now on my second consecutive 7th Generation Accord, both 2.4 litre Execs. I don't know why I wasted my time with the two Mazda 6s, the Accord easily out does the spec, build quality and all round driving pleasure. I wouldn't touch a Toyota.

Of course everyone has there own taste. :Smile:

3. greg01 New Member Getting Started

Thanks for reply good to hear from someone with experience of mazda 6,Will definately keep looking for honda.Have read of some issues with electric power tailgate are these expensive to fix,and clutches on petrol models,how many miles are they normally good for and what are the tell tell signs of one needing replacement,(cost of parts).Any other things i should check before buying(will be checking has full service history).:Smile:

4. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Welcome aboard, Greg and good luck with your search.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

My last Accord had 95K on it and my current one is currently upto 112K, no issues with clutches or flywheels on either.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

See this thread for common petrol issues (of which there aren't actually many) :Smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  7. greg01 New Member Getting Started

Thanks for info and support,Have seen 2004 tourer petrol automatic 122k miles any issues with auto box on these models and what reallistically will MPG about town be.Is there a great difference to driving experience between manual and auto ie power /acceleration:Smile:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which engine was the 2004 auto ? The 2.0 will be slightly sluggish and does need to be worked if you want a energectic drive. 2.4 is super smooth and silky and does not feel as underpowered as compared to the 2.0 auto. Both accord in town have a drinking habit ,they are economical on longish journeys.

9. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hi and Welcome

Nice Silver 04 Tourer with everything you stated on Autotrader £2290 Owned by Honda plus one FSH oh has tow bar as well but looks nice

10. greg01 New Member Getting Started

Thanks,

Yes spotted that one too, but that is the one i saw first and has defects not as described unfortunately.

11. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There are plenty out there just be patient and you will be rewarded.

i looked at loads before buying my accord. Look on paddocks country you can Google it or pm me for his details. Only deals in used Honda and won't haggle much but his cars are good and he is honest ! he does not buy the auction crud like many out there. I briefly considered Mazda but quality not even close to Honda IMHO. Let us know how you are getting on and if you see any my way you can have my number would be happy to look at them with you if it is any help..

Happy hunting bud

12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

sorry fingers to thick for this phone :Smile:
    it is paddocks of coventry

13. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Autotrader -
    Grey 2.4 2003 £2495 autotrader Exec got everything in Kettering area (Northants)
    Black 2.2 diesel no roof bars but looks nice :Smile: in the photos at least £2999
    Grey 2.4 Exec with satnav & rear park sensors £2990
    Silver 2.0 Exec got everything £2850

Good luck..