Service & Maintenance Seat Belt Problem

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by AccordCU2, Wednesday 3rd Sep, 2014.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As per title driver seat belt is not retracting back at all and I have to push it back manually every time.
    Car is due MOT soon and this will be a failure obviously.
    My question is anyone else had similar problem or have tips how can I fix this?
    Speedy took plastic cover apart but we could not see anything obvious so I am guessing it's mechanism itself.
    How much is the new seat belt etc?
    Thanks

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've heard of lubricating the mechanism but to be honest it sounds like spring or whatever mechanism creates the torque to wind back the belt has gone.

I'm not even going to post the part number as the list price is £579. I would recommend going to breakers for this one, odd as that seems on a latest generation model.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I thought as much.
    I am definitely not paying that much so will look around for something cheaper this weekend.
    Cheers DD.

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

DD do you by any chance have some sort of instructions how to take damn thing apart before I butcher it this weekend.
    Thanks

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sorry to read about this problem Zoran.
    I don't have an answer, but CJ or Beefy may know.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Just downloading the 8th Generation workshop manuals now from my home server @Zoran :Smile:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    This may not help at all, but no harm in putting it out there. Last time I took apart a seatbelt mechanism was when I was in my teens, some time ago now unfortunately, when I was rebuilding a car which had been written off. I spent the last part of my teens and early 20s funding my way through university by fixing cars, ended up rebuilding 4 in total that had been written off and selling them again. Seatbelts, unless their design has changed significantly, work on a type of retractor mechanism of which a spring assists in pulling the ratchet mechanism back once the seatbelt has been extended. This is why, when you pull a seatbelt out, the further you pull it, the harder it slowly becomes to pull as you are pulling this spring further. If that spring fails, it won't retract, but will still lock if you pull it hard enough.

Does the seatbelt lock if you give it a solid tug still? Some mechanisms lock through mechanical detection of the physical belt being pulled too hard and whereas others, on newer cars I belive, never had one myself, lock when the car detects a sudden braking force.

May not help, but thought I would throw it out there.

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It does lock when I pull it but it won't retract at all.
    Cheers DD.
    @Nels not to worry.Will get to the bottom of it one way or another.

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I would check the spring when you get it apart - it may have come loose or just fallen out of its holder.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted soon.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks @Nighthawk
    Will give it a go this weekend.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is a common issue Zoran, You need to buy a stiff brush and some IPA pull the whole seat bealt out spray some IPA use the stiff brush to clean the belt, then wipe with clean cloth. Keep cleaning untill no more muck come off the belt.

Then the top buckle needs a clean so the seat belt can move it will be filled with dirt and fluff.It will be brand new again no need to buy the entire reel.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Zoo I gave you a copy , Leo there is one on your FTP.

13. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok @Ichiban will try that first then.I am having a blonde moment and texting while working, whats IPA?
    I bought original workshop manual but no idea what I done with it.
    Thanks.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    IPA Isopropy 99% pure Alcohol :Wink:

WSM don't worry

AccordCU2 likes this.
  15. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hmm might end up drinking that stuff :Laughing:
    I will try it and see if it helps.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will be poisoned if your drink that stuff. IIRC its a Methyl alcohol and that stuff is nasty.

17. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

LOL I know, just kidding.
    Was you in Brum the other day? Why didn't you drop by for a cofee?

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Naah went straight down to Northampton mate could not make it.. but need to get to speedys soon we can hook up then.