Electrical & Lights Seatbelt warning Bong deactivation

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Doc, Friday 24th Feb, 2012.

1. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    My Accord is the newest car I have owned and after purchasing it I was rather surprised (and annoyed) at the amount of warning beeps coming from the car before starting it.

Current procedure was:
    Get in car.
    Put keys in ignition and turn ignition on.
    Bong- Bong- Bong- Bong- Bong and Seatbelt warning light on dashboard.
    Put on seat belt.
    Start car & drive off.

Now this Bong noise irritates me because I find it completely unnecessary. I’ve never needed to be reminded to put my seatbelt on before, honestly I feel uncomfortable driving without it on, and to keep being ‘told’ to do so by my nanny state EU dictating car every time I get in it becomes somewhat tiresome. However I learnt to tolerate it because I thought there was nothing I could do about it. Until that is I was reading a thread on another Honda website which told me otherwise. At this point the noise became even more irritating and had to go.

A little research later and this is what I found:
    This device appears to only have one function, to annoy you into putting your seatbelt on.Its purpose is to comply with Euro NCAP testing. Every seat which has a seatbelt warning fitted when the car goes through the Euro NCAP test gives the car 1 point towards its possible 5 star rating.It is in no way connected to the drivers airbag, SRS, seatbelt pre-tensioner or any other device.The system works on an open circuit. A circuit is created in the seatbelt buckle when the seatbelt is NOT being worn causing the warning tone and associated dashboard warning light. Once buckled in an open circuit is created cancelling any future warning tones.

The open circuit is the key to this mod.

Under the drivers seat there is a row of 4 wire connectors.

This attachment was lost due to a bug in our old forum software before launching Honda Karma.
    If you are the author of this post, please try and re-upload this image for future members.

The picture is viewed from the drivers foot well looking back under the seat.
    The blue wire connector on the right hand side, which would be closest to the centre console, is the one you’re interested in. This is connected to the seatbelt buckle. This simply needs to be disconnected.

Now current procedure is:
    Get in car.
    Put keys in ignition and turn ignition on.
    Put on seat belt.
    Start car & drive off.

There is no seatbelt warning light on the dashboard or noise and it stays off when you begin to drive. There is also no airbag light on the dashboard.

I’ve been driving with this mod for several months now and have no difference apart from the lack of irritating noise.

Disclaimer: I am in no way condoning, suggesting, excusing, encouraging or implying that anyone should drive without their seatbelt on. To do so is against the law! If you are the type of person who forgets to put their seatbelt on then I recommend you do not do this. I have done this only because I do not need to be constantly reminded to put my seatbelt on so find it unnecessary.

Now to finish off sorting out the door open warning beep.

Simes likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't mind the bongs it one of the reassuring features to tell me everything is as it should be when I get in the car.

One of way beating it is putting the belt on before you inset the key. But good work I can see a lot of people disconnecting this.

Thanks Doc

3. wooster Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Probably not a good idea for anyone with kids.

-edit- My seatbelt warning comes on after a delay of around 30 seconds, I take it this doesn't apply to facelift models on?
    -edit#2- ^^That's not right, it does bing a few times to begin with, but it was so trivial I hadn't noticed it until it was pointed out. :Aghast:

Last edited: Friday 24th Feb, 2012
  4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I always put the key in first thing to free my hands up to then put the seat belt on so find it a little annoying. Plus while I'm putting the belt on it gives the glow plugs time to do their thing, otherwise if I put the key in after I tend not to wait long enough before starting the car, old habits from owning petrols.:Frown:

CJ: I always find the restrictive feeling of the seat belt more reassuring than the audible noise. :Wink:

Wooster: The door open warning beep only applies to the drivers door when it's open and the keys are in the ignition, it's to stop you leaving your keys in the car. I find the constant beep annoying when washing my car which is why I want rid of it. But all the doors (including drivers) also have a separate system of a warning noise and dashboard indication lights in case a door is not shut properly before you drive off, which is admittedly very useful especially if you have kids. The noise I want to get rid of is frankly over kill to satisfy Euro NCAP.

5. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I don't mind the seatbelt bong, but do find the rapid 'key in lock and door just opened' bleep a bit annoying, so good luck with the fix.

6. wooster Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ahh, gotcha (I hadn't really noticed that either until you mentioned it :Wink:)

My problem is leaving them in the boot.
    I have a habit of setting them down on the toolbox when I'm digging out the kit I need for jobs, so a bleep would be handy to tell me they're still lying there when I close it. :Whistle:

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Now you've noticed the warning noises they will irritate you every time.:Grin:

Yeah I've got to admit I have absolutely no concerns about leaving the keys in the ignition and locking them in, but putting the keys down in the boot then shutting the lid I can really see happening at some point. I suppose the only way round it is to unlock the whole car all the time instead of just the boot so it doesn't automatically lock when you shut it.

8. wooster Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I haven't locked them in yet (touch wood), but I've had a few close calls.

What I did find out is, if you're unlucky enough to lock the keys in the car, the nearest Honda Dealer should be able to cut an emergency key (using the VIN) that will open the door (not start the car) for much cheapness.

9. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm so glad I decided to trawl through the old 7th Generation posts- this is what I was going to investigate but someone has done all the thinking for me.
    Just been outside in the pouring rain to do this- took 2 minutes.

Bong be gone...

PeteMM likes this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Where abouts is the blue wear disconnected from @Simes ?

11. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Under the drivers seat there is a row of 4 connectors.

It was in the original post, the photo fell down the crack in the move from the AOC, but the description sufficed.

12. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

New pic for this thread:

image.

Bong long gone...

13. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Thanks @Simes, nice and easy !

Simes likes this.
  15. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Thank you @Doc and @Simes for taking the time

Something that had been annoying me but also something I was never going to bother really looking in to.

Needless to say thats the first job for tomorrow morning

SpeedyGee and Simes like this.