Engine & Gearbox seized sump plug

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by keithj050, Friday 1st Feb, 2013.

1. keithj050 New Member Getting Started

Hi All, took my Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI into national Tyres for a oil and filter change, after waiting for an hour before the car went onto the ramp, it then took another hour an 15mins for them to tell me there was a problem in as much they can't undo the sump plug, anyway after a few cross words :Angry: as to why it took them so long to tell me the problem, they then tell me to take the car to honda main dealer and get them to do it, honda then want 69 quid to look at it and 100 quid for oil and filter change, but they then say if they can't get the plug out in whole it may mean a new sump etc and thats 600 quid, so my question is does anyone know of getting the sump plug out without the chance of it damaging the sump?, secondly what damage will it do if i don't change the oil, and thirdly as i know nothing about cars can the oil be drained when the filter is removed, i know the filter is not at the bottom but wondered if that was a possibility. would appreciate any help, thanks.

2. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Hi
    The sump plug can easily be stripped, hence the reason that National Tyres advised you to go to the dealership. I would take a good look at the sump plug to see if they have already rounded off the drive. On some cars it could be a normal hexagon headed plug and some it could be a hexagon socket. I am not sure what is fitted to your car. If they have rounded off the hexagon drive socket/head the dealership would probably try to remove it by force with either a stilson wrench (in the case of an external hexagon or maybe drilling if out and reaping the hole if it is a socket type plug. Some dealerships may have the facility to "drain the oil" through the dip stick hole using a suction method. (Quite common in some garages these days.) If all else fails then a replacement sump is the only option. If you intend having a go yourself you must clean around the threaded area with a wire brush and give it a good soaking with some form of penetrating oil before attempting to remove the plug. Be sure to use a good quality socket or allen key and give it a sharp blow to try to break the locked thread , rather than a prolonged tug. Be aware of the consequences as mentioned above if you do round off the drive.
    Not changing the oil is not an option as this could cause far more damage (and cost ) in the long run.
    Finally if you do manage to get the plug out , make sure you clean the thread out, replace the seal , apply some oil or grease around the threads and DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the plug.
    Good luck
    Regards
    Mike c

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

4. keithj050 New Member Getting Started

Thanks Mike for your advice, will try some garages about draining from the dip stick.
    regards
    Keith

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keith can you get a picture if this drain nut? If you can ramp up the car on jacks and get the small inspection hatch off .. It's held by a 10 mm bolt once you remove it get a picture of the sump bolt.

Get not go down bodges and hacks lets see the damage first.

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

When you refill use proper synthetic 0W 30 not some semi synthetic rubbish.

7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The sump nut is 17mm AF FYI.

8. keithj050 New Member Getting Started

Hi , did have a look when they shew me the problem it looked in fairly good nick, would have thought they would have tried with a socket rather than the spanner he had in his hand, but they the experts not me,and just don't want to take the risk doing it myself just in case. thanks for your interest. regards, Keith

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    well if the nut is ok then you should be able to take off .. looks like these guys gave up before they tried and experts get the thing off no matter how hard it is :Wink:

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Theres no reason to be sacred. Get a socket on it, put an extension on the ratchet and pull gently it will come or tap the ratchet with hammer.

11. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Duplicate post deleted.
    RobB

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 15th Feb, 2013
  12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    hey Keith
    shame about the distance i would have happily had a look if you were closer go home. Would not advice forcing it. A good bar with anti slip socket might do it with care failing that a second hand sump as previously suggested would be a good reasonably easy fix.
    Make sure you fill it with the correct 0-30 oil that's important..

good luck

13. keithj050 New Member Getting Started

Hi thanks for the offer, but did take it to a local garage on friday and the young lad got the sump plug out with no problem so god know what national tyres were playing at, got a service at the same time had to pay extra for the decent oil but is worth it, also got told engine is in good nick considering its done 109000 miles (can always rely on Honda :Smile:.

- - - Updated - - -

To all people who took time to reply to my thread re: sump plug, many thanks and is much appreciated, problem has now been sorted by local garage

14. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

15. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Excellent
    Mike c

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Splendid.

I knew it just needed someone with the right know and the right tools :Smile: