General Seized Vehicle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pjrzn, Sunday 29th Nov, 2015.

1. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom PJ Romford
    Hi guys I am wondering if you could help me for some stupid reason my car got seized earlier for having no insurance. You might think I am stupid for not having it but that is not the case

For some reason my bank cancelled all my direct debit without me knowing last month for some fraud in month (i have a separate account for my car mods money and car insurance). And it turned out that I have not payed last months insurance and I receive no notice of it. Maybe I have but I am terrible in opening letters and I know it is my fault.

Set that aside how do I go buy in collecting my vehicle? What insurance do I need to get as some companies were telling me that I need an insurance cover note but the police has mentioned just the certificate, v5, MOT and calid ID. I am a little confused

I am a genuine motorist and I ain't stupid having my car uninsured even the slightest mod I did for my car are all declared. Unfortunately in my case I have been negligent for not checking or opening my letters a mistake that I will learn from the hard way.

Can you please help...

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You definitely need to show proper insurance certificate, not even a temporary cover note will do.

A lot of insurance companies these days store there certificates online, so if you go for one of them you'll be able to print off the certificate which will save you a few days waiting for it in the post.

3. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I mean just a normal annual insurance I need yo grt hust go inline declare the conviction and once it all been payed for I just need that certificate nothing else? Cause according to them I need a further insurance to get it out the compound?

But the police were saying just the certificate showing that I hbe an insurance in place. So I am a bit confused. I don't wnt to buy the insurnce then end up not getting the car because I need an insurance specifically to get it out the police impound

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I would as the Police have said, what other kind of insurance could you possibly have to get it out of the compound ??

5. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cause apparently I need an insurance that will get the vehicle out of the compound. Cause not all insurance cover this. That is why I am confused
    - - - Updated - - -
    A cover note plus an annual insurance cause once I've told the insurance about it being in a police compound they were rejecting on giving me a quote for some reason. So yeah

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

What they mean by insurance that will get you out of the compound is simply that it needs to be your normal full insurance certificate and not simply temp insurance or 7 day cover note.

7. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ohh okay so if i get another quote online and have it by monday it will be okay for the police to release the car?

I shall do that then cause I am just worried as when I call insurance companies they said they can cover the car but they don't cover when it still in the impound. Confusing but yeah at least you guys shed some light about it.

Anyone experienced the same issue?

8. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    No, but I've seen it many times on the various "police" TV programmes, and yes they always tell the driver that the insurance has to be a "full" insurance certificate, not a "temporary" insurance.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  9. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No thats what the insurance told me theycouldnt insure if its in the police compound i need an insuramce to grt it out the compound plus the normal insurance im going to be getting.

That is why it left me confused

10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

what they meant is that if the car gets hit by one of the recovery trucks while it's in the compound, or if the car catches fire in the compound, then their policy does not cover anything like that. But their policy will provide cover as soon as it is outside the compound. I assume that someone else will drive it out of the compound for you, which will only happen when you have shown proof that you have insurance for you to drive it on the roads.

exec and FirstHonda like this.
  11. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I see got it thanks bud I shall buy my insurance tonight and makes sure its in place before driving. Lesson learned thanks a lot

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In your case it's a bit unfortunate the way it all happened, compared with some people who drive knowing that they have no insurance.
    Anyway let us know what the procedure is when you get the car. As I say, on TV they always show the car being taken away, but they don't show the poor blighter going to collect the car. For example, they might ask you to check the car over and sign something that says that the car has not been damaged.

vincemince and FirstHonda like this.
  13. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will bud moment of truth tomorrow hopefully it all goes well -

jimjams likes this.
  14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can you not go to your current insurer and explain what has happened, maybe they will re instate the cover, so then you will be fine. However the compound may use the ASKMID website to check, but that doesnt always update immediatly.
    ASK MId is the website for the motor insurance database and its free to check "your own car"

15. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi harvey

I have my account is currently under investigation. And time is not really in my side at the moment cause the compound is 40 pounds per day. I rather pay everything then start asking for compensation once the car is out the compound
    - - - Updated - - -
    As well as my bank they are investigating the fraudaulent transactions so yeah can't wait that long knowing that it might coat me alot of money till they get to the bottom of it

16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hey PJ, I think I know what you mean. A lot of these online insurance quote forms ask 'if the car is impounded or seized' I don't know what happens when you click yes to them but I know that option is definitely a question even when you phone insurance companies to get a quote so there must be some reason to it so when getting quotes it will be worth mentioning it to them 'if asked'.

I bought my insurance online and have never received a post. my insurance certificate is a digital one which i printed myself so you won't have to wait too long.

Unfortunate what happened to you and hope you get it resolved soon.

17. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys car is recovered today. Yes there is a special insurance to get the car out of an impound. And sometime companies charge you alot but lucky i found one that isn't that bad. So yeah normal premium wouldn't have helped.

First quote i had is 500 for a month just to get it out the compound but I found one that covers my annual premium aswell.

But yeah now we know that there is a different premium that get the car out the police impound.

Attached Files:

18. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not convinced that it's necessarily a "special insurance" to "get the car out". More likely it's just a very high premium because you are in a position where you do not have the penalty points yet, but there will be points added soon. Insurance companies will not like that, especially when there has been a previous policy which "lapsed". In other words, it's not a policy "to get the car out of the compound", it's a policy that has been weighted because of the fact that you were driving a car when a policy had lapsed (whether it was directly your fault or not).

I've seen the police explain on the TV programmes that the following method is acceptable. If this happened to one of my sons, I could phone my insurance company, switch my policy to his car, leave my car on my drive, go on the bus to the compound, and bring the car back to my drive. Then call my insurance company and switch the policy back to my car. The cost of switching would be about £25 each time, which I would expect my son to pay. He would then have to insure his car himself, and disclose that his policy had lapsed, and that he had some points on the way. He would experience the same difficulties as you did.

19. Pjrzn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well thats what the police and insurance told me. There is a specific insurance to get the car out the police compound. And apparently not all insurance companies cover this because it is classed as high risk etc etc..

But on the bright side im with my baby again lol

20. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's that you are now classed as high risk (not the fact that the car was in a compound)

Anyway, glad it's sorted :Wink: