Electrical & Lights self leveling

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by rockydo, Saturday 10th Aug, 2013.

1. rockydo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi i have just had my headlights out and notice on refiting they are aiming up i don't think the self level is working can anyone tell me how to check this they are HID lights thanks rock

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi did you mark the headlight bolts area when you removed the headlight .. I doubt it yourself levelling it could be a simple case of headlight is sat incorrectly as it not in the original spot.

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    The headlight needs to be set in the correct position, as they do at an MOT to get a base line setting. Then the self levelling adjusts the headlights accordingly as you drive. The self levelling won't set the headlight to the correct base line setting if the unit is disturbed.

As Ichiban said check the headlight has been relocated in the correct position. If the headlight unit hasn't been disturbed (outside of the removal and replacement process) then they should line back up.

4. rockydo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi thanks for your replys they are in the correct position. what i mean is aint they supposed to move when you start up. they do not move at all .i have aligned the aim and the motors are plugged in i don't know if they worked before i removed them as i have not driven it in the dark until the other day.

5. mr.xkr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Maybe the servo is detached, the servo has a ball in the top, and its not the first case that it detach when a big shock occurs:

The servo can be pulled out spinning it, but you must remove the headlights to work properly.

Thats a guess, another guess could be the connector is not attached properly, try to push it before.

6. rockydo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi the ball is attached and the connections are ok i will have to take them back out can i test the wires with a 12v bulb .i have an honda used warranty would they cover this i know i have had them out and could void it but as i said i don't know if they were working previuos to me taking them out.thanks rock

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You need to be careful the garage will pick up the headlight has moved as the area will have marks and spots of clean area, a tell tale sign someone look at it before.

I would personaly get your car to the garage to get the headlight aligned as per MOT standard then check your self-leveler. I am not conceived you headlights are sat in original spot.

8. rockydo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok but if my headlights are not sat in the right spot shouldnt the leveler still move and work as normal .i don't mean correct its self but it should move regardless of position . in theory you can take the headlight out and if still connected they should move when ignition is turned on . sorry if your trying to tell me something and its not getting through.

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    You mean if the motor is still connected to the electrics the motor should still move? The answer is yes it should.

10. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know some cars have the headlights move around when you switch on the ignition as a self test/alignment process (my son in law's Insignia does it), but our '09 Tourer never has and it's fitted with self levelling HID lights. I know they self level as I tow a caravan and weekly carry heavy band gear in the boot and the lights always seem to be at the correct level. I think you may be expecting the movement to be visible, but I think it is a very slow delayed response to the level of the rear of the car, otherwise they would swing about violently as you went over bumps.

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    The only way to test the self levelling would be to unbalance the car either by loading the rear or possibly raising the front to force the activation to take place. Alternatively if you have a meter reader you could connect direct to the motor that could tell you if the motor is faulty.

As banditSid said you may not see an initial self test/ alignment process when you turn the ignition on. So don't see this as a sign of a faulty unit.

12. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The sensor is attached to the right rear suspension if I remember correctly from my brake pad change, so either jacking up the right rear or all of the rear would force the headlights to raise up to compensate.

13. rockydo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

[hi thanks for all your replys .. bandit and doc this seems to make sense to me if it does not move unless loaded i wouldn't notice .i to have had other cars that it mov4es on start up hense my question . anyway i will load the car on the weekend and see. i have a wall out side my garage that i can shine on if i stand in the boot will this work it . or does the car have to be moving . i had cornering lights on an audi a6 and you had to be doing above 10 mph for them to work

14. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    It shouldn't be speed dependent. It should work as long as you have the ignition on and the lights turned on.