Electrical & Lights Separate power feed to rear view mirror

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Doc, Friday 11th May, 2012.

1. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Hi,

I'm trying to run a power feed to the area around the rear view mirror. I don't want to tap off the rear view mirror or vanity light power feed as the device I'm installing has it's own dedicated power feed cable and needs to be connected to a fused power feed off ignition point 2.

Question is what A pillar does the power feed to the rear view mirror go down and how could I go about feeding another cable up it and across the roof lining to the rear view mirror?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There you go doc the wiring digram and I think the wire is running down the driver side A pillar as it closest to the under dash fuse box.

Auto Dimm mirror 7th gen AOCUK.JPG

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Cheers for the wiring diagram CJ. I though it would most likely be the drivers side with fuse boxes being that side. Think I might need a stiff wire to feed the new power feed across the roof lining from the A pillar to the vanity light.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Doc did you get time,to do this mod yet?

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I've had some progress with it but not quite finished it yet. I've managed to run a power feed up the A pillar across to the interior light. That turned out to be the easy part. I've been trying to find a suitable power feed on the fuse box to connect a battery discharge prevention device to. I was going to tap into the main interior light feed but it proved impossible to find. I've identified the drivers door wiring connectors so i'll use the door light feed as a permanent power source and for my switched IG2 power source I'm going to use the wing mirror power feed, instead of the cigarette lighter feed which was my 1st choice. That way I'll keep all the connectors on 1 loom. I'm just waiting for a dry day so I can take the door wiring loom out to solder my connections to it. I've taken lots of photos of my car in bits. It will be nice to finally have all my trim back together lol.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Peterborough must be the wettest part of England !!! Glorious sunshine here matey get yourself up north will have this all nipped up on hours.

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Mate, we've had thunder, lightening and lashing rain this morning. It's stopped at the minute but there's more to come.

The hardest part's connecting the wiring due to lack of space, that's partly why I've chosen the door wiring loom because it's removable. I think I'll have to loosen the fuse box to get behind the door pillar. It's not difficult in itself just fiddly feeding the wire back in due to the foam insulation in the door pillar. Then it's simply a case of connecting the camera and job done.

If your weather is that good I think I'll come up for a few days and wash and detail my car as well. :Smile:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Doc any more updates on this buddy?

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Was hoping to get this sorted yesterday but after inspecting my EGR I discovered it and the intake manifold were full of thick oil soaked sooty deposits 2-3mm thick so got a little distracted trying to scoop some of it out. But will put this in a new thread as I want some interpretation and advice on it.

I'm trying to tap into the drivers door wiring loom, but either way I can't seem to get it out the A pillar due to fastenings on the loom and a big foam block in the pillar. I think it was installed before the dash and fuse box. Looks like I'm going to have to solder it the hard way, on my back with a pedal in my ear. I'm determined to get it done this weekend an hopefully try it out at the meet. :Smile:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oil and soot umm :Blink: Someone changed the engine in your Accord?

:Rolf:

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I know it's a diesel but for an engine that's got 33k miles there seems to be a huge amount of soot in the EGR valve and intake manifold, I was expecting it to practically clean. I've seen cars with 133k miles with less build up! It runs well, is very quiet, and gives good MPG's, so I'm not sure why it's happened. It's all coming through the EGR. But it's been there since I bought the car. Maybe it's been run on cheap fuel or had a dodgy remap for a short while. All I know is I want it out and I want it clean. Would carb cleaner be the best to clean it out with?