Engine & Gearbox Serpentine Belt

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Wednesday 3rd Jul, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Hi guys, I'm changing my serpentine belt this week as the chalking has worn off and the noise is basically indicating that something's wrong. It looks a bit tired anyway and after this I'll know if the power steering pulley needs changing. It looks like a fairly straightforward job. Is there anything I need to watch out for though?

Cheers
    Graham

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Graham the belt is easy to change just slacken the tensioner bolt and it come off , but why would your PS pulley need replacing?

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The noise that's coming from there, but I'm 99.999999% it's just the belt as the chalking did eliminate the sound. Thought I'd do the sensible process of elimination starting with the obvious :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I doubt it will be the PS pulley more likely the tensioner or the water pump.

When you take the belt off start the car briefly, if you can't hear that noise you know it one of those pulleys. Try moving all the pulleys with your hand and a worn bearing will soon be felt.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cool, cheers.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Do you need instructions or torque setting etc let me know.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Torque settings? I didn't think I was loosening anything, just pushing the pulley out of the way using a 14mm spanner whilst removing and the when refitting the belt?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No there isn't when it comes to replacing the belt, it was incase you did find something out of the ordinary on the other pulleys and needed those torque settings.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Ah I see, cheers! Fingers cross it's just the belt.

That damn cold start issue is back and I can accentuate the problem by putting my hoof down on the accelerator pedal half way when starting - feels like there's one almighty explosion going on in there! lol

- - - Updated - - -

Surprisingly the belt wasn't something they keep in stock so I had to wait until today to get it. No big deal though, it's just a day.

I was expecting something similar to this:

belt.

But instead got a loose belt with a bit of plastic wrapped round it. Is that normal?

- - - Updated - - -

Belt changed and the noise is gone! :Happy:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    good stuff no more pulley noises :Happy:

11. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Is this on the 2.2 diesel lump, I had my old revision belt changed to a new revision type and ended up with a heavy leak from the crankshaft pulley, its now a non runner so it doesn't need oil but worth noting!

Chris.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It's the 2.4 Petrol :Smile:

13. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Sorry mate, for some reason I only saw your initial post and none of the replied, very odd :Messed:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The revised shorter belt can't cause that oil leak , its not related at all. One unrelated case doesn't make it the norm for others to follow, you should remove the longer belt.