Electrical & Lights Service and 1st MOT failure

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Chunkylover53, Saturday 10th Oct, 2015.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got the oil change to 5w40 Shell as done by @exec and I have found the car to be more responsive (old oil was 10W40 Mobil that was changed 12months ago) so I'm really happy about that.

I also tried NGK Iridium plugs too, I haven't really noticed much of a difference but then again I didn't expect to. Figured that it was worth the difference even if its just marketing hype for an extra £9.

Finally I did a full (within my ability) MOT check on the car. I genuinely thought I fixed any flaws (incl replacing side indicators as they didn't look orange enough) but unfortunately the car has failed its MOT for the first time ever. Annoyingly, it failed on headlamp alignment!!

Anywho its all been fixed, that said, is there any way to actually test the headlamp alignment in the future or do I just get a tape measure and make sure its beam is within tolerances?

exec and AndyB1976 like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    exec and Chunkylover53 like this.
  3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Well I am glad that your car is back to full health again either way :clap:

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Iridium plugs just tend to have longer life, but if you ask me I always change plugs well before their lifetime anyway, i think standard plugs can do like upto 60k?

Anyway hopefully that is another year of trouble free motoring.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I used to change plugs along with the yearly service. I fully expect to do the same with the ep2 and the Type-R if i get one.

Appreciate some may think its not necessary but it gives me peace of mind and stops them seizing themselves in the head

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Plus a set of spark plugs only cost around £12-20 or so you might aswell change em when you do your regular service. I haven't actually changed mine since 2013 :Blushing:, but i've only done around ~5k miles since, but got new plugs waiting to go on when I do the VC's.

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Actualy @Chunkylover53 the headlight issue doesnt suprise me that much, especially after your little fender bender earlier this year. It may have bent the brackets a little at the bottom so the headlights where pointing down. Either that or you had a really fussy MOT tester. The one I goes to half the time just flashes the lights and thats it, yep they are working, pass.

£30 seems bloody steep for adjusting them though, an hours labour for that! most garages here would do that for less than that, or even free.

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That makes perfect sense, completely forgot about the accident!

I agree that the hourly charge is high (£70) but these guys haven't failed her in 14yrs so I doubt they would do so unless absolutely necessary :Smile:

Harvey likes this.
  10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

- - - Updated - - -
    That is reassuring to hear as it sounds like they are genuine and not just "failing" her to make few quid on the sly.

Hope you get it sorted ok.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I agree with @Harvey there seems to be a variation in what classes as a pass for headlight alignment. It's amazing how many vehicles have dazzling headlights even on dipped beam - a few newish cars as well! Sometimes I wonder if people have changed the bulb and put it in upside down if you can still do that?

Not sure if headlight bulbs have a correct way up any more it's that long since I've had to change one.

That's Honda reliability - even the light bulbs go on and on.