Dealers/Garages Service book stamps

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by SteveT, Friday 2nd Mar, 2012.

1. SteveT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve West Midlands
    Hi all
    I have decided to do my own service next time, i used to do all my own car service / repairs years ago, but due to ill health have not botherd for two years. I did the wifes car recently and really enjoyed it, so now the Accord is next. Im a bit concerned about the missing stamp in the book tho! any thoughts on this, does it affect resale value, the car is out of warranty now and you only get offered book price when trading in.

Cheers
    Steve

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you use genuine parts and have a receipt to prove the service for corresponding mileage you are good.

3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Also depends how long you keep the car for. I intend to run mine until its uneconomical to repair, so service history stamps is irrelevant.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I get my cars services at HH too lazy to do it myself like repairing other people's cars ...bizarre but true.

5. SteveT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve West Midlands
    I was going to keep all the receipts, and get the parts from Holdcroft, just need an oil filter tool of flea bay now and some warmer weather, can't wait, only ever having to check the tyre pressure and fluids gets boreing :Smile:

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If the oil filter tool is the same as the diesel (CJ will know), you can get it at Halfords for about £6. I think it's 78mm and 14 flutes.

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

8. SteveT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve West Midlands
    Hi RobB i think the petrol filter tool is 65mm may be wrong tho ( wait for CJ )

9. SteveT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve West Midlands
    Yeah Zoran thats the one, THanks guys

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You got it guys if you own Honda motorcycles it will work on them too,Nissan & Suzuki .:Wink:

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I don't think I have ever looked at the stamps in a service book. I look at the dealership printouts and parts invoices. They give me a much better idea of what's been done. Stamps in a book are exactly that, just stamps in a book. I just intend to keep a comprehensive list of everything spent on my car. Future buyers will appreciate that a lot more than just a stamp.

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just sent my request off to HH for my parts including new pads just waiting on the price and the weather to change oh and CJ to quit work lol

13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi

I serviced my 6th Generation for several years and just peeled labels off bottles and cut the important bits from cardboard packaging and then stuck or stapled them to pieces of A4 with a written note of job, date and mileage and filed them.

Gives me away as an anorak I know but I had a file an inch thick in the end. The dealer's face lit up when he saw it and he then said he was keeping my car out the auction and giving it to his dad as a runabout because it was obvious from the history it had been very well looked after!

14. SteveT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve West Midlands
    Im a bit OCD like that to, keep all the receipts for wiper blades, tyres, even washer fluid , old tax discs at one time but got over that.

15. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You throw old tax discs away. Not anoraky enough! :Smile:

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Best not say anything about my OCD for one I have all my tax discs from day one for my first gen.. and that sracting the surface whistle.

17. SteveT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve West Midlands
    Have you got them all framed though CJ ?

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have not got that sad.......yet may do it when its the 50 anniversary for Honda Accords.

19. mike787 Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I’ve just done my own service on the FR-V. I bought the genuine parts from Cox motor spares at a very good price, their offers continue and I’ve just got a full set of genuine brake pads, front and rear while they are a good price. I’ll keep all the receipts as I always do, if it’s not good enough for a prospective buyer then it’s their loss. I know the job has been done and that’s what matters. The posts from IchibanAccord helped me believe I was perfectly capable of doing the work myself. Now to have a look at the brake pads and replace if necessary, lets have a look on the forum and see about how to replace them on the FR-V.

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff Mike.:Thumbup: