Engine & Gearbox Service indicator

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by dennismate, Monday 14th May, 2012.

1. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    I bought my 20K miles, 2008 Accord back in February this year, before collecting it Thames Honda carried out a full service on it, since then I have covered just over 6.5K and the service indicator came on tonight on the way home from work stating that I had just 1800 miles before it was due a service. This means that it is going to require a service every 8.5K miles, which is unacceptable, is there any way of disabling this function?, I should of thought a service every 12K - 13K would be more reasonable.

Stuart

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Stuart

It depends on your driving conditions, which the system takes into account. Cold starts, shorter journeys and stop/start urban trips are a lot heavier on the oil than long motorway runs.

There are two ways of looking at it. Frequent oil changes are very good for the car so if the system is telling you to change it soon rather than letting you plod on another 5k on dirty oil then I think that is much better. Oil changes are dirt cheap compared to the cost of the problems that can arise from not doing them.

I am a bit of an oil change obsessive and I change mine every 4 to 4.5k miles. So if I had this system I would be unhappy it waited so long! In other words, it sounds about right.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I believe it can be disabled but i am the same like Sayama i like to change my oil in between the services anyway.
    Have a read through this and see what you think
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/45/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  4. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    Thanks for the replies guys, I've had a shuftys in the handbook and a read through the link that zoran sent, it seems the service reminder can be reset by holding down the 'Sel/Reset' button for 10 seconds and pressing the up arrow and the select button again. I don't mind getting Honda to do an oil and filter change but don't really want to be forking out for a service every 8.5K.

I see that you can request SvRS be switched off and have to sign a letter to that effect, but it can NEVER be switched back on so I am reluctant to go down that route as it may affect the residual value come change over time.

When I bought the car the salesman mentioned something about scheduled services being the better option for me as I'm a high miler, maybe I'll pop in tomorrow and see what they say, hopefully I'll get an honest answer, Honda pride themselves on customer satisfaction, lets see.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey Stuart you have valid concerns and should be raised by owners as it would seem slightly out of place to received an EARLY service reminder.

However please have a read of this thread it indicates how the SvRS system works.

Now what your driving patterns are, how you drive is unknown which you can only answer. I am confident that you are a low mileage over a longer period which would equate the system is protecting you..

6. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    OK, so today I popped into the dealers where I bought the car and asked the question about the early service, I was told that if I wanted the SvRS service turned off it would not affect the trade in value at all as they go by the service book and as long as that's stamped up to date they're happy. Also, they confirmed that the next service for the car should be after I've completed 12K since the purchase mileage and simply reset the service reminder, which I have done and it's now showing 5800 miles to the next service which is more like the 12.5K intervals I was expecting.

It was refreshing to get an honest answer, I swear that had I of been in my previous car (Ford Mondeo) the dealers would have made a case for me to part with £200.

All that said, I might still go ahead and get just an oil change done for peace of mind.

7. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    I guess they did well with Customer Satisfaction :Smile: always good to hear a good result

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Customer knowledge will get you the desired result with dealers . I hope the knowledge here came to your advantage.

9. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    Thanks, I'm sure it did, but the dealers had never seen the SvRS choice.pdf from your linked post, mind you, when I spoke to the salesman who sold me my car, he said that they usually disable this feature on all new Jaz's they sell unless asked not to

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Glad to help buddy that's what this forum is all about..

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    When u bought the car you said they did a major service. Was this done in preparation for you buying the car as part of the Honda happiness guarantee or was it done because the service indicator light came on? If it was done for the 1st reason then it would have been out of sync with the service indicator reminder. This is why the service indicator has probably now shown up giving the impression of a short service interval.

12. mat Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My wife's brand new Jazz had this disabled by the dealer by default. The salesman just said go by the service book. Why does it exist if it's never used.

13. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    Doc,

I beleive it was as part of the Honda happiness guarantee, but I thought they would have reset the service reminder to reflect this. Is this not possible then??

14. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Not sure if it's possible to reset it before the light comes on.

I would say that if the service light wasn't on when they did the service they probably didn't think to reset it giving the apparent short service interval.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just want to clear up a slight misconspection with SvRS when the car is manufactured the factory disabled the SvRS. The main reason being the actual delivery date may be weeks or months away before handing the keys to the customer. So rather than the system counting down to the next service prematurely this features has to be enabled at PDI at the dealership.

By the looks of it your dealer is not bothering to turn them on, as they haven't read or fully understood it working.