Engine & Gearbox Service Items

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by jaytip, Friday 3rd May, 2013.

1. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi folks, can anybody advise me please. My car is booked in for a AB service next Wednesday (56k something miles) and browsing through the service book this morning looking at the tick boxes I noticed that it has never had a fuel filter or air cleaner element change.
    Is that correct? Seems a long distance to go without replacing.
    I appreciate any advice and insight.

Regards,

Ivor.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Ivor

According to the SvRS servicing regime the filter should be done on A4 service has your car got a numeric along with the code?

http://hondakarma.com/threads/87/

if your hasn't had a filter change then I suggest at 56k do it ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi CJ, nope, no numeric code, just showing AB.
    Im going to ask them to change both the air and fuel filter when they do the service.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yeah do it mate you car will love it.

5. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It could be the reason why the car is not giving me the MPG that I expected. A 3 1/2 year old air and fuel filter must have quite a bit of crud in them by now.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup it could be.

7. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Jaytip,
    On modern cars, a blocked air filter can not be a reason for low MPG. The ECU will inject the amount of fuel only according to the mass of air measured (!) after the air filter. Hence a clodged air filter can be a reason why you will finally lose power but no MPG. On old carburettor petrol cars or 100% mechanical diesel injector pumps, a clodged air filter did result in low MPG as the mixture became richer and richer all the time.
    Same for the fuel filter: this can never result in low MPG. Contrary: in the end nothing will be injected anymore :Wink:. Typical for a dirty fuel filter is a loss of top speed.
    I experienced both cases myself in the past: I drove old carburettor cars and with my latest cars (modern Honda's) replacing the air filter changes nothing (0,0) in MPG. Even after changing the filter only after 40k kms on 2 Civics. Zero DOT zero change in MPG between a completely black and a brand new air filter (just as I expected). Both genuine Honda filters (old - new).

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    perhapse a change in MPG is unlikely but it will certainly do the car some good I-DSI..

9. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Sure, Beefy. Totally agree. And trust me, I stick 100% to the maintenance schedule.
    A clean airfilter in good condition is a warranty for full power delivery and you don't risk a torn filter that results in engine dammage.
    A clean fuel filter is a warranty for reliable engine performance as the engine won't suffer fuel starvation at high fuel flow rates.
    But don't expect miracles by changing these 2 sooner than mentioned in the schedule.

10. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Deano24v was complaining about poor MPG from his I-DTEC and gave it service and it improved a lot ....not saying you are wrong, just saying ...

11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Bigroncoleman,
    No discussion about that. A simple, basic service will improve MPG, but that's not down to the fuel or air filter. It's down to mainly 2 things: tyre pressure adjusted and new oil.
    What can further improve MPG because of maintenance: new spark plugs (not on I-DTEC:Smile:), valve clearance adjusted, transmission oil changed... I might forget other things.

12. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just don't understand how they have never been changed at all. The car has a full Honda service history !!!!

13. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    You're right, both of these filters should have been replaced at around (and every) 37500 miles.
    Is there any chance they just didn't thick these boxes? Did you had a look at your air filter? Can you post a picture?

Edit: do you remember you had in the past digits also along with A or B?

Last edited: Saturday 4th May, 2013
  14. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I haven't checked the filter, but I will be replacing it anyway.
    The only two services the car has had with numbers after AB is;
    AB2 at 23,123 miles
    AB27 at 46,073 miles.
    The car is currently at 56something and getting serviced next Wednesday.

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Jaytip,
    For the fuelfilter, a 4 should have appeared.
    For the air filter, an 8 should have been shown.
    If you own the car from new, than the dealership made no mistakes at all. Non of the filters should have been replaced.

A possible explanation (but I'm not sure about this!): with the SvRS system, the ECU knows exactly what amount of air and fuel you used to travel your mileage and if you drove in an ecomical way, the calculation can show that in your specific case not that much air and fuel passed through the filters.
    The 2 and the 7 you mention are for pollen filter and brake fluid.

If I were in your shoes, I would check the air filter, and if it looks just ordinary black (normal after such a mileage) I would leave it and wait till the 8 comes up.

16. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have only owned the car since Christmas so I have no idea how it was driven for the first 54K of its life.
    I am a person who believes strongly in preventative maintenance, so for the sake of a few pounds for a fuel and air filter, I will change them for peace of mind.